M1 Garand likes to be dirty

Mausermolt

does anyone else see this in M1 Garand's? after every thorough cleaning of my Garand i have to run about 2 enbloc clips of ammo through her to get her to stop jamming. my brothers M1 does the same thing. after that she runs like a top. anyone know why or have the same problem?

When the Garand parts begin to wear to a certain point - the common term is "they need to be reset by the recoil" to insure correct function. This is especially true with a loose fitting stock. Everything needs to be jarred back into place.

oh interesting! so the recoil is "settling" the parts back into "spec" well thanks for the intel. any other possibilitys? the stock isnt loose....by my definition anyway.

Never had that Problem with my rifles. They run fine, even after a thorough cleaning. Maybe you are over or under lubricating after cleaning? I don't think that the problem is inherent to the rifle. Also, a lot of guys who shoot the m1 competitively, say that when the receiver is removed and reinstalled in the stock, it takes about 20 to 30 rounds to reseat it and get the groups to settle down.

Last edited:
Mausermolt

If you are not already, lub you M1 with lubriplate or a medium thick grease. When I was shooting on a Marine Corps rifle team I didn't have your problem with my match M1 and I used nothing but GI lubriplate. One practice day I used Hoppies #9 and I had a lot of failures to feed. I cleaned my rifle once a week and run a brush through the bore at the start of ever day's shooting.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Back