M1 Garand - Is this a good buy ?

MusclesMcGee

garand.gif

I am considering this as a first rifle purchase. What should I look for and what is your general opinion of a Garand for a first rifle (ease of cleaning, reliability ammo cost ect.) ?

Don't do it. The newly made receiver is of questionable quality, not to mention the serviceability of the used GI parts.

Buy one from the US government through the CMP. For $400, you can get a Service Grade that will have a barrel throat erosion no worse than 3-4, the rifle will be shipped to your front door, and the receiver will have been made by one of the original manufacturers in true mil-spec.

Muscles:

First off, a Garand is a fine weapon. One of the best ever made in my opinion. I have three.

The gun you are looking at is made on newely manufactured receivers. I've seen these guns, and they look Ok but I have not fired one. The other parts are usually all GI parts from parts kits. The price is not bad. But you will not be getting a US issue gun this way.

Why not join a CMP affiliated club and get a US gun for $400? Check out www.odcmp.com.

Muscles - The Garand is a fine rifle, perhaps the finest battle rifle ever made, IMO.

As for it being your FIRST rifle, I have to ask - what do you wish to use the rifle for?

If you're looking for a military collectible that you can also shoot, by all means get one through the CMP.

If you want a general use / hunting rifle chambered for the 30-06 round, you may want to consider alternatives.

Cliff

Suggest you listen to the man who says "Don't Do It!!" He is correct that the receiver leaves questions and the parts kit they are assembled from are probably all over the board in terms of mil spec. Join a local club, purchase the rifle from the CMP and it is indeed a bargain. If you do purchase the M1, also suggest you buy the book which NRA publishes about the Garand and it will help you get off to a good start.
M1 is as fine a battle rifle that has ever been produced

Thanks guys. I'll hold off from this purchase.

I wanted a rifle to put holes in paper and shoot cans with my friends at long ranges. I am now considering a ruger 10/22 or Marlin model 60.

muscles,
Dont give up on the garand, join the cmp and pick at least one up while ya can, before they run out in a couple of years....its just the one your looking at has quality questions......luck to ya...hey that 10-22 is a fine little plinker...fubsy.

I would like to second what fubsy just said. Go ahead and get the CMP M-1. It is well worth it. I bought one in July of '99, and for the price you cannot beat it. I received a very nice Springield-mfg. example, made in '42. Most if not all parts are correct for the period, too! Rifle is definitely worth more than I paid for it!

Also, get the 10-22 as well. I have 2 of them! 1 in stainless, 1 blue. Fun little .22's, they won't disappoint you!

If I can, I'm going to try to get at least one more Garand before next year. And true, the program could be yanked right out from under us any time at the whim of a bureucrat,
so now is the time to act, if you can!

For God's sake and your own, get a CMP sevice grade NOW! $400 + shipping, and you have your rifle. They don't get cheaper than that. Most aren't bolt gun accurate, but my service grade shoots 2.5MOA with remanufactured ammo. It is strong, reliable, fast shooting, low recoiling, inexpensive, fun, accurate, and has excellent sights. With soft points you have a perfect deer rifle, and with FMJ's you could theoretically shoot your deer on the other side of a 24" diameter tree at 200yds!

They are war veterans that deserve to be saved and put into the hands of shooters or in your gun cabinet instead of a metal crunching machine.

Buy one, it will be worth at least $500, and you might get lucky and get one that is worth 2X what you paid for it. You aren't supposed to sell it, but they didn't even need to tell me that. Mine ain't EVER leaving!

------------------
Don't turn around, uh oh oh, der kommisar is in town, uh oh oh!

Back