M1 Garand Ejector Comes out During Firing

TunnelRat

Hi all,
I have a Springfield Armory produced M1 Garand I bought used a number of years ago (I bought it from a store and I don’t know the round count before I got it). Production date estimate by serial number puts it as produced between 1954-1955. It has markings indicating a Letterkenny Army Depot rebuild in May of 1966.

Since I have owned it I have put 440 rd of PPU and S&B through it, all of it the SKUs marketed as Garand safe. Last time out shooting, on round 6 in the enbloc clip the bolt stayed to the rear. Looking at the rifle the op rod has become detached and gone forward and the ejector and spring had popped out of the front of the bolt and fortunately fell onto the shooting table. The extractor was slightly popped up.

I disassembled the rifle and the ejector appears fine. I did notice that the “leg” of my extractor isn’t straight, but has a curve to it and there is one area on the extractor showing displaced metal. Pictures attached.

Is the extractor fine as is, or should I look at getting a replacement? If I continue to use th existing extractor should I file down the material that has been displaced?

Regards

33983d706a4b12dce931138569ca3992.jpg

17779603ae03792a2490060e2155edbb.jpg

Replace the extractor, it's ruined and can't be repaired and shouldn't be used.

While you're at it, I'd also replace the extractor spring and plunger, just because they're cheap and to insure no other problems.

Buy your parts from a good supplier to avoid used or "replica" parts.
Fulton Armory is good, as is Orion 7.

It looks like the leg of the extractor is bent. It needs to be replaced. The extractor holds the ejector in place, and when it "popped up" that freed the ejector to fall out.

My guess would be it wasn't under any, or much tension at the time, otherwise it probably would have flown out and not been found.

Replacing it and the spring would also be a good idea when you get a new extractor.

Ordered and installed a new extractor, ejector, and the associated springs. Shot 40 rd through the rifle. Worked fine.

Back