M1 Garand Ammo

Benton Quest

OK...here is my question. I am in possession of an original, unopened ammo can that contains 192 .30 ball rounds in 8 round garand clips. It is one of the ammo cans that opens like a can of spam, via use of a "Key" that is attached. Cute little curio in good shape that I have been using as a paper weight for the last ten or so years.

Are these ammo cans rare? If so, what might it be worth? People are telling me its only worth the face value of the rounds in the can itself. Hmmmm. Does anybody know otherwise?

There should be a packed or repacked date on the can. Those cans go for some fancy prices. I have sold a couple, complete with WWII corrosive ammo for far more than the ammo is worth. In both cases, I let the buyer make the offer so my conscience doesn't hurt too badly.

I told the buyers the stuff was corrosive, but they said they were stocking up for Y2K. Oh, well....

Jim

OK, here is what it says on the can

"DO NOT USE AS FOOD CONTAINER
192 CARTRIDGES
CAL .30 BALL M2
8 RD CLIPS
BANDOLEERS
LOT SL XXXX"

It's not a re-usable can....after one use it would be ruined due to the nature used to open it. It's OD green (go figure) and has a small wire handle on the top. It's about 10" wide, about 7" deep and about 8" tall. No other date markings or stampings present.

SL would stand for St. Louis ammo plant. That's about all I can tell you. I don't recall seeing any U.S. ammo put up this way.
You may want to check with some collectors.
Good Luck, Hank

Back