M1 Garand - Accurate commercial ammo..?

Cliff

To start, an acronym pronounced IlmGee... "I Love My Garand." Hmmm.... might make a good bumper sticker, methinks. :)

It is also the ONLY firearm that I have felt the desire to name - "Big Dog". After only 8 rounds, no less. :o

I've been feeding BD Talon ammo - good, cheap range fodder, tho not very accurate (which I already knew - for me, 4" groups at 100 yds.).

Now I'm looking for something more accurate, commercial, with a burn rate that will keep the chamber pressure within specs and not do nasty things.

My short list:

PMC 150 gr. FMJ (Close to M2 ball specs.)

Federal American Eagle 150 gr. FMJ

Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr. BTHP

... Other?

I plan to shoot BD in a DCM high power match (for fun and practice), so any and all helpful suggestions appreciated.

TIA.

Cliff

Hi, Cliff,

How accurate is accurate? The Gold Match is pretty good. I can't recommend the PMC. For price, I would get a batch of CAVIM or buy GI M2 through the CMP. I think you can still get GI Match through CMP, but check their website at www.odcmp.com. If you can, it is the best and is made for the M1. Most regular commercial .30-'06 is pretty good, and may even shoot better than match in some guns.

Jim

Check out the civilian marksmanship program...www.odcmp.com

They sell match and surplus govt ammo. The standard ball stuff comes in 8 round Garand clips. Reasonable price, if you meet requirements.

Jim - Good question (re: accuracy expectations). If I could achieve 1 MOA at 200 yards, I'd be delighted. Even the BEST ammo can only marginally compensate for tired eyes.

I had thought that the CMP LC 168 gr. match ammo was no longer available. I'll take another look.

I've heard much about Cavim, but little info on accuracy.

Cliff

I had to laugh at your Garand's name ... mine is Big John (after its designer) and it's the only named rifle in a pretty crowded vault :) I haven't yet gotten down to the final testing, but my Browning BLR (also in .308) LOVES the Winchester Supreme (love = sub-inch at 100 yds). I haven't yet cross-checked the pressure and burn-rate info, but it doesn't act all that hot ... I think the bullet is their edge.
saands

Just received my can of match 30-06 from CMP today. It's more expensive than the regular ball, but what the heck?

As a word of caution Cliff, be sure any ammo you shoot falls within mil-spec with regards to velocity/pressure. The M-1 Garand was designed to function at mil-spec and anything too hot could damage Big Dog.

P.S. Cole Distributor is suppose to be selling 500 rounds of mil-spec in a can for $99.95 plus postage.

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited June 07, 2000).]

Are you saying that my lousy shooting is only part reason for large 100m groups with a shortie Garand (poor technique and HEAVY trigger are other culprits, I am sure)? Is my 2000-round stash of Talon only good for practice?

Thanks for the replies, folks!

I double checked the CMP web site and it states that they are out of M72 match ammo. A moot point for me, as I didn't purchase Big Dog ("Dog" pronounced "Dawg" :-) through the CMP.

Gary - EXACTLY my concern regarding powder burn rate. A slower powder than milspec can cause higher chamber pressure and potentially cause timing problems or other trauma (bent op-rod, etc.)

I've been looking at ballistics charts re: muzzle velocity and will post some questions over in the reloading forum.

saands - :D Reminds me of the song - "Big Bad John."

Oleg - I bought my 800 rounds of Talon for practice and am planning on picking up 400 more rounds. Additionally, most of my Talon brass is Lake City - excellent brass for reloading. As for accuracy... snipped from the C&R list -
------
Subject: Re: .30-06 - M2 Talon FMJ at Classic Arms question

I took a few boxes to the range today, using a bench and sandbags,
with scope shot a 1 inch group ( 4 ) shots and a 1.25 inch group ( 5 )
shots 1.50 group ( 5 ) shots at 50 yards.
Changed to PMC shot 1.5 ( 5 ) shots 1.75 ( 5 ) shots. @ 50
yards.
This was with a 98 Mauser convert to 30-36.

Changed to a 308, one of the Gibbs Hunter Carbine with scope, and Talon
ammo
Shot a .75 group of ( 5 ) two times 1.5 group of ( 5 ) Changed to PMC
Target load and shot a .50 group ( 5 ) and one .75 (5 ) shots @ 50 yards
------
Your "shortie" Garand sounds like one of the ones marketed as a "tanker" Garand by Century arms back in the 60's. Is the trigger on yours a two stage? The trigger should have some travel, then resistance, then break.

A lousy trigger can make a good marksman less than average, and do a disservice to an otherwise perfectly good rifle.

Cliff

The trigger on my rifle doesn't have two stages. It is heavy and I can feel the floorplate shifting as I pull the trigger. Coarse front sight doesn't help much. You can see pics of the Garand here dd-b.net/olegv/newphotos/lifesavers if my server ever comes back up...

------------------
Oleg "peacemonger" Volk

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

Back