M1 Carbine

Mikef262

Hey guys,

I recently picked up an m1 carbine at a local gun show for $790. I haven't shot it yet, planning to tomorrow, hopefully it goes better than the Iver Johnson carbine I had.

It is definitely not all original, but after some research, I have learned a bit about the different markers of each part. The reciever and rear sight are Springfield. The hammer is Walt Arsenal. The charging handle is Saginaw. The barrel is marked 10-1943, I assume the 10-1943 indicates the month and year the barrel was made? The barrel band is type 3, I believe, and is marked SA2, which I assume is Springfield. The stock is Jamestown Lounge or Jewel Bros? Not positive on the stock. It has a "J" on one side where the sling wraps through. It also has the letter "P" stamped and circled at the bottom of the grip, and another "P" stamped on the front of the grip, but not circled. The handguard is only marked with a "10", and nothing else.

I realize the Springfield's aren't desired like real carbines. But I do hope this shoots better than the Iver Johnson. First shot with the IJ the handguard flew off...

Anyway, at $790 how did I do?

I think its a misconception that the typical M-1 carbine rolled out of an arsenal with matching parts.

The parts were farmed out to a number of suppliers,and the rifles from day one might have Inland,Saginaw,IBM,and Quality Parts all in the same gun

It is definitely not all original,...

In what way??

with US military firearms there are two "original" conditions, though perhaps authentic is a better word. There is the configuration of the arm as it was when accepted by the military and first issued. Call that original issue if you want.

Then there is the gun "as maintained in service", which is entirely authentic but can, and often is different from the original issue condition.

Additionally, as mentioned, some guns were never made with parts from a single source. SO, even a gun that was never issued (or reworked) could have parts from different makers and be completely "correct" and absolutely authentic and "real".

"...The receiver and rear sight are Springfield..." No such thing as a Springfield receiver. Springfield Arsenal did do Post war rebuilds, but they did not make Carbines.
"...made with parts from a single source..." None of the original Carbine makers made all the parts. Most made very few. Some made receivers and nothing else. A lot of the subcontractors(100's of small shops all over the Eastern Seaboard made Carbine parts) did not mark the parts at all. Hence, there's no such thing as an "original" or "all correct" Carbine.
Rummage around here.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/
"...better than the Iver Johnson carbine I had..." IJ's can be like that. IJ bought out both Plainfield Machine Co. and Universal Firearms Co. IJ Plainfields are not as good as original Plainfields. Universals come in early and late models. The Early types are ok. They were made before Universal thought they could improve the design. Those are the Late models(toggle for the bolt hold open, poorly made stamped op handle and 2 return springs) and are junk.

T.O'Heir,

Perhaps I used the wrong terminology, or there was a miscommunication. But, just below the rear sight on my carbine it is marked, "Springfield Armory". The rear sight covers up the "Springfield" portion of it, but you can see it at an angle. If I could figure out how, if it is possible, to remove the rear sight, I would take a picture.

The rear sight is marked "SA" on the side.

On a new note, I just got back from the range. I fired about 100 rounds of cheap Tula steel cased ammo through it. Normally stay away from steel cased, but the gun shop only had steel, and I wanted to shoot it today. It shot very very well! Only two issues, which were magazine and ammo related. Had an issue with one round of the Tula ammo, and after finishing a magazine, I realized the bottom blew out! Luckily, all parts were recovered, and the mag was reassembled. I am very happy to finally have a functioning carbine!

I was once very learned on US Carbines having about fifty of all makes and descriptions ( now have just ten in the safe) Springfield (the Gov. Armory) did not make receivers but after the war they did make some barrels and sights. I believe Springfield Armory ( of M1A fame) produced a few Carbines but never got into full production, it may be interesting to contact them asking info on this Carbine.

$800 is fine for a military carbine. It should be reasonably accurate out to 200-yards.

I use my Inland w/ Hornady Critical Defense ammo for home defense.

M1carbine.jpg

$790 for a "Springfield Armory Inc" Carbine could be good or bad, it just depends on which of the several Inc receivers it is along with the number and type of "real" parts it was built with.

If it is an LMT made receiver, it alone might be worth $300+ as they are well regarded.
If its one of the lesser quality ones then the value may be more in the parts.

Given what you describe I think ultimatly the real value will be on whether it functions well.
If it does then you've got a great shooter to have fun with and enjoy at an okay price.
If it's a problem gun (sadly there were many from the clone era) then you may have gotten stung.

Hopefully it will be a fine shooter that you'll have lots of fun with. :)

Back