M1 Carbine

Kentucky Rifle

I was at my favorite gun shop today buying a scope for my AR when I saw it. A new M1 carbine. I might be in love. :) I've always admired the looks of the little carbine. Does anyone know the caliber. Also I'd be interested in hearing from someone who owns one. Good or bad?? This thing had a beautiful walnut stock. Wow!!

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.

I have two M1 Carbines. The first I bought is a refinished collector. I liked shooting it so much I decided I better build a newer one for shooting only. I bought a parts kit from Centerfire systems and a new barrel from a guy I found possibly here on the Firing Line. I had it all put together and added a stock I got from the Great Western Gun Show. Then I went ahead and added a BSA 5MOA red dot sight after knocking the rear dove tail off and adding a scope mount.

30 round magazines are readily available for about 10 bucks each and I have found 15 round mags for as cheap as $2 also at the great western show. Bad part is ammo is a little pricey. I highly recommend a Dillon Precision RL 550 B to reload those .30 Carbine (it shoots a 110gr .308 bullet at about 1800-1900 f/s and the case is about 1.2" overall length) rounds for $50-60 cheaper per the 1000!

A great little piece of history and a nice little plinker. I highly recommend one.

Caliber should be .30 Carbine. If "new" it's probably an IMI (I think). I own an Inland Carbine, a first rate weapon for everything from informal plinking to hunting. Keep in mind what it's limitations are and enjoy.

Gator

I to have an Inland, Great rifle, Good shooter :)
If you like it, Buy it you can't go wrong :)

Happy Shooting :)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

[This message has been edited by loknload (edited May 01, 2000).]

Yes.
I saw the box, and I believe it did say "IMI" on it. However, I wasn't paying much attention to the box. This is just a beautiful little rifle! I've already mentioned it once, but I'll say it again. The walnut stock is really good looking.
I've never fired a .308, but I'm looking forward to it. I have a little arthritis in my right shoulder, so I have to be a little careful regarding recoil. Does the .308 recoil much more than an AR15? I don't even notice the recoil of my Bushmaster.

Thanks,
Will

------------------

P.S. Does anyone know how much it weighs?
I'm sitting here slightly loaded and I think I have to have it!

Will

------------------

WLM, I must caution you real quick. It shoots what is called the ".30 Carbine round". It really is like a pistol cartridge and only shoots a 110 gr bullet. Basically, don't worry about recoil. It is very light and a good shooting gun.

Don't get confused with the ".308 Winchester round". The .308 Win or 7.62 Nato or 7.62x51 is a much larger round used in large bolt guns or semi-autos. It shoots up to a 240 gr rounds, but more commonly around 150-175 gr bullet. It is much more powerful.

Just buy the gun already! You won't regret it. I just have to caution you that the ammo is a little expensive now adays.

I owned the Plainfield version back in the 80's. Looked mighty impressive with the ventilated handguard and a couple 30-rounders taped together. I loved shooting it, and did very well to 50-75 yds, however the cartridge is a bit anemic for any hunting purpose. Never had any problems with it. As another poster mentions, ammo can be expensive - I always bought cans of mil surplus rather than factory boxed ammo. The cost was about half!

Loaned it to my brother and never saw it again - stolen he said, but I have other theories. So, I never did get around to putting that folding stock on it.........

------------------
Panzerführer

Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die Säue.

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't.

Today I went and looked at the M1 Carbine. Something is a little odd with the sight picture. Maybe someone who has one can tell me if this is normal. I'll try to explain. When I was sighting down the barrel, the right edge of the metal guard that is on top of the barrel sort of intruded in the sight picture. Kinda like it was slightly twisted. It seems to me that I should have been able to just sight down the depression in the guard, and on out the front sight. Anybody know what I'm trying to say?

Will

------------------

I've seen several USGI M1 Carbines with their barrels cocked off to the...left??...

Anyway, the end result is that it takes about eight clicks of windage from the center of the sight's range of adjustment to get them zeroed. Same direction on every gun, about the same number of clicks.

This means that your line of sight is almost 1/8-inch off to one side, and you might see the handguard in your sight picture. If the handguard is a bit off, it gets worse.

Personal theory on the barrels is that they got canted while being screwed into the receiver.

I had that issue with my M1, but when I zeroed it, the peep was almost all the way over to the left side of it's housing.

That said, after zeroing it on a grid target, it shot just fine. Always thought that was screwy, but it worked.

------------------
Panzerführer

Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die Säue.

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't.

The other problem I have had with those metal handguards is that they are too large and obstruct the view of the peep sight. I recommend getting a wood handguard for it. They are much lower and that might just fix your problem.

Where could I order a wooden handguard for my IAI M1? That sight picture is th eonly issue I have with an otherwise marvelous design.

The M1 Carb is great fun I love my IBM-1943 as a PC/Lan Tech I had to have and IBM.

The cartridge is about $10 a box for 50 rounds and can be reloaded using carbide dies (no lube) if you want to use it as a light hunter rifle hollow points are availabe.

If you get one keep a look out for a Ruger SA in .30 carbine or the AMT Auto in 30 carbine so as to have a companion piece.

I have a couple of M1 Carbines and a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. The Blackhawk is really a bench clearing gun if anyone is close when you're shooting. The muzzle flash has to be seen in low light to be appreciated! :)

I recently bought an IAI. Very accurate at the closer distances I was able to shoot it. I ran some 150, then 220-grit sandpaper over the stock, then slapped on two coats of tung oil. It's REALLY smooth, now! (Wasn't bad, initially.)

Be aware that the IAI is supposed to have a tighter chamber. This could lead to better accuraccy than other makes, but more ammo sensitivity.

Back