M1 Carbine

Kentucky Rifle

Guys, I've become interested in military rifles. It started with my AR. Today I was at the gun shop picking up a new pistol that I just had to have, (Don't ask. I have NO excuse.) and there was an M1 carbine in great condition on the wall. It looked new! Does anyone have experience with this little rifle? I need function and reliability.

Thanks for your opinions,
Will

[This message has been edited by WLM (edited January 06, 2000).]

Pretty good. Doesn't have the ergonomics of the AR, or even the Garand for that matter. Cartridge is rather enemic, though would probably be perfect for a house gun. Ammo is available, but getting expensive. Reliable with 15-rnd mags (no experience with the 30 rounders). A pretty cool piece of American history; wish I'd bought my buddy's for $250.

I used to have a M1 (a buddy has it now) and it was a blast to shoot. However, like it was alluded to the cartridge is not a real power house.

I'll be crucified for this...but, I always thought of it as a "centerfire 10/22". Fun to shoot (but not cheep to shoot), a blast at the rock quary on tin cans and assorted junk, and a contact to another era.

Still, I really wish that I had kept it, but I didn't

Will:

What kind of M-1 Carbine are you looking at? Is it a GI one? A GI one that was reimported? Or is it a post war civilian version?

The carbine is a fun gun to shoot, but thats about it, fun.

I have a Saginaw Gear WWII manufactured one that was reimported from the Korean Army. It is in great shape and shoots well.

I have a Universal M1 carbine that I bought a year ago in a pawn shop for $110. It's definitely fun to shoot-not much recoil. Adequate accuracy-about 3-4" from a bench rest at 100yds.

As far as adequate power-that depends. I wouldn't want to get shot by it and many men have been killed and wounded with it in many wars. Foot pounds of power is close to, I believe, 950 or so at muzzle.

Reliability for my gun depends solely on the magazine. The 15 rounder works well but not the 30rounder.

At local gun shows, this gun, new, sells for around 250-300. Original military ones are around 450 & up.

------------------
cyriaque

I have a Rock-ola with a 30-round clip. It works fine and you can go through prodigious amounts of ammo in no time, heating up the barrel very nicely. The .30 cal round has been described by a number of sources as equivalent to a .357, not a heavy rifle round by any means; but as the M1 carbine was intended to be a long pistol, adequate to its purpose.

After lusting for an M1 carbine for years, I finally got one. I do not love it. Somehow it lacks the good vibes I get from the Garand or AR15. However, it is cute, simple, light and doesn't kick. All that makes it a great gun to lend people who are new to shooting but would like to try something other than a .22
It truly is a 1940s attempt to make a "Glock" - a simple, no-frills reliable sidearm which can be mastered with only a bit of training. It is the straight-forward operation that makes it so unexciting...unlike, say, an FN49 or a 1903 or any number of other designs that require more attention from the user. The carbine is just load, rack, bang-bang-bang, drop the mag, load, rack, bang. Simple and suited for the purpuse...and handy inside my crammed flat. I like it better than Ruger/Hi-point/Marlin/Keltec carbines. Pity mine is a new one with metal handguard...would have liked wood better for looks.

Won't let go of mine...for if I do, the longing for it will be back. It is a true classic and makes a fine little brother to the Garand. Now if I could only get a 1911, a Tommygun, a BAR, an M3, a Johnson (ugly!) and an M2 .50, I'd be all set...then again, a 1903 and a 30BMG wouldn't hurt, either.

For a brisk discussion of the effectiveness of the .30 carbine cartridge see the topic posted by Short Bursts and a number of interesting replies.

Reading these posts breaks my heart. *sniff*

Will - When I was a teenager, I bought a brand new Universal M-1 Carbine. Not top of the line, couldn't swap standard USGI parts with it, etc... But... DAMN! What a piece of fun to shoot!

Ultra-reliable, and didn't require the obsessive attention to cleaning detail that my AR does. Not that I mind. :)

That little carbine taught me how to reload - it was the only way I could afford to shoot it.

I sold it over 30 years ago, and still kick myself for doing that. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how well balanced it is. The weight distribution felt perfect.

I'll be buying another one in the near future, only this time USGI original - either Winchester, or Rock-ola... a testimonial to how much I've missed the little guy. :)

Cliff

Back