M1 Carbine Serial Number Help

mikey10mm

Hey Guys,

Need alittle help - I am on vacation and was talking to a gentleman about guns, later I was approached by an oldtimer who was in the area of this conversation, he attempted to sell me his Springfield M1 Carbine. He states this is GI and not reproduction, so I gave it a look. Gun is immaculate with period cartouche stamps. The serial number is not sitting right with me. It is SC127XX. Called Springfield - no record found, Checked NPS database - no record found, called CMP North and South - Serial number not recognized, possible reproduction. As I said I am on vacation and my reference material is 5 hours away, so any help would be great. Would be a great buy if authentic - just need to confirm a manufacture date.

Thanks Guys

Mike

Sounds odd to me, as far as I know Springfield never built any M1 carbines, they were all built by outside private manufacturers, specifically Inland (a division of GM, and the biggest builder), Winchester, Underwood, National Postal Meter, Saginaw (another GM division, built in two separate plants after they took over a failed contract), Standard, Quality, Rock-Ola, and IBM. Might be one or two I missed, but not Springfield, Springfield did build the majority of M1 rifles (Garands) in both WWII and Korea. The seller might have had something pawned off on him, maybe?

Thanks Drew,

I must admit I am more of a Garand guy and never had any real interest in the carbines until this came along. I would not argue any points with anyone on the carbines as I don't really know anything about them, but I definately saw the roll stamp " Springfield US cal. 30". Is it possible this is a reproduction gun? But if it is when could it have been made since Springfield could not identify it or make a repro carbine, nor could the NPS or CMP. Well thanks again Drew, if you come across anymore info please let me know - Mike

The U.S. Army Springfield Armory, in Springfield, MA, never made the M1 carbine. The commercial company, Springfield Armory, Inc., did though, and that is one of theirs. Springfield Armory, Inc., has a good reputation and will stand behind their product. But it is a shooter, NOT a GI carbine and its historical value is nil.

The receiver is investment cast; the going price in top condition is around $375.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I knew something was not right, but when I called Springfield and they could not ID it, I knew I was going to get something great or something along the lines of poo. I think the old timer can keep it - I'll get one from the CMP when they restock the inventory. Once again thanks, you saved me about $700.00.

Mike

Well maybe he is alluding to the fact that possibly SPFLD used some GI parts in the making of the carbine? Some early makers of repros made their own receivers and then used some surplus parts in them too. It might be a good shooter if the price is right, but it has no collector value as a GI gun any more than any other commercial gun. If he insists it is really a GI gun, then can you trust him about anything else about it? Now there are some parts for postwar GI carbines that were made by S.A., the real one, as replacements during overhaul. Those parts will have a SA stamp on them. Stuff like bayonet lugs, stocks, trigger housings, but also alot of the smaller internal parts. But not receivers. Good luck. As for stamps on the stock, well you can buy the stamps from Numrich and others to put "authentic" arsenal stamps on any stock you want to.

Back