M1 Carbine Questions

DougB

I've always wanted an M1 Carbine. Dad used one in WWII. They look cool. I bought a supply of magazines before they were banned here in California. Anyway, as I've started looking into it, I realize that I'm in way over my head. Prices are all over the place. So many variations. I primarily want a shooter, but if it were a genuine GI rifle from WWII, that would be worth a little more to me as well (but not a lot).

I'm very tempted by the new M888 versions made by Isreali Military Industries (I think). I've read a few reviews, and they are reputed to be more accurate than most others, as well as new and decently made. Seems like a safe bet, except the metal handguard doesn't look right (but could be replaced), and it isn't "genuine GI." But I could order one for around $415 (plus shipping, FFL fees, etc.), and that includes 200 rounds of commercial ammo.

On the other hand, there is a guy in the area who builds them, apparently using good surplus parts and new or near-new barrels, for around $500 or so.

And I just checked GunsAmerica, and there are several for sale for around $500 (various makes and conditions).

So, what's the best way to go? If I get the IMI M888, do I give up the legal right to install a bayonet, folding stock, etc. that I might have with the surplus or rebuilt rifles? I don't know if I'd ever want to do this, but it would be nice to be able to have a bayonet just for show.

Anything else I should consider? Thanks

Doug

Doug:

If you want a good shooter that may be a WWII gun watch the auction sites for a reimport M-1 Carbine. Usually they are ones that Blue Sky brought back in before the Pres. stopped the importation of our own military weapons. You can get one around $350. Because theyhave the import stamp on the gun, the collectors value drops considerably but the two I've purchased are in great shape, shoot well and have all GI parts.

Fred

Nothing definitive, but my understanding is that non-GI carbines can have problems with interchangability of parts. For that reason, I'd stay with a GI version.

If the bore is good, you can always either refinish the stock or order a nearly-new stock from one of the various part suppliers.

For a shooter, I'd just do a casual cleanup on the existing stock.

Regards, Art

I've been looking at these great little rifles for a few weeks. It's an IMI that I'm looking at. Something was wrong with the sight picture. The right edge of the metal guard intrudes into the sight picture. I finally figured it out. I think the barrel is "overtwisted" slightly. I still plan on buying one of these, however I plan to look it over carefully before I put down my money.

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.

There are 3 basic typs of M1-Carbine's

1 Full US-Mill this is of course the most collectable I have an IBM '43

2 New Built on parts kit - these are most mill parts with a new reciver the IMI M-888 and the new Springfields will fall in this catagory they are good shooters but have little collector value

3 The Amost carbines - Iver Johnson and Plainfield of the 2 the IJ is most like the real Mill-gun (many parts are WWII spares) while the plainfield has some mill parts but has a different recoil system and can not use mill stocks but if you can find one with the sliding wire stock if can be fun

For more info get the NRA Reprint
http://www.nrahq.org/store/store.cgi?detail=119&category=Reprints

It is a great buy for $3.00

FWIW: Hancock Firearms in Thomasville, GA, has two GI carbines in stock.

One is a GM of around 1943; VG +; $480; the other is not quite as nice in the wood, but is $425.

The phone # is 912-226-8202 if anybody is interested.

Regards, Art

Thanks for the input guys, but no one has commented on the legality of attaching a bayonet and/or folding stock to these. I assume it would be legal to attach these to an original Carbine, but I'm not sure about those re-built (or outright built) from surplus parts, or carbines of recent manufacture such as the IMIs (although I think they also use some surplus parts). Could I legally mount a bayonet on an IMI carbine? Thanks.

Doug

I would think (someone correct me if I'm wrong), that you could have a bayo lug but that a folding stock would be out. (Detachable magazine + bayo lug = 2 evil features, which is OK. Detachable magazine + folding stock and pistol grip = 3 evil features, which is WAY too many ;)). Actually, it's not only the mounting of a bayonet, but just having the bayo lug which is considered evil. The other feature considered evil are flash suppressors.

A WWII carbine would be exempt from this, since it was manufactured prior to the '94 ban, so you could do whatever you wanted with it.

The IAI is built on a WWII-era receiver, though with new match barrels. Mine is very accurate. It does have a bayonet lug.

Back