M1 Carbine questions

pete80

Does anybody have any experience with the IMI M888 M1 Carbine? Good, Bad? Also, who sells/makes good cheap surplus ammunition (FMJ or SP). Thank you!

p.s., is the carbine new or a refurb.?

The M888 from IMI is being 'built' in Houston I think, it is a WW2 Receiver and parts gun with probably new springs and such the stock is either new or was been refinished. If I did not allready have an IBM M1carb I would probably pick one up , heck I might anyway they seem to be in good condition.

As to ammo you can get UMC Hard Ball and several mfg's make soft point ammo but this is a minimall rifle ( I often call it the best pistol the US ever made) if you would not feel comfortable with using a 32-20 or a .357 mag on the critter then this is not the gun to use. if you get it go all out and get the 30rnd M-2 mags and the stock mounted mag pouch and 2 mags for it, a total for about $50 and then you have 60rds ready to go if needed. The M-4 bayonet is also nice but the go for 30+ bucks each.

Before getting a quantity of the exposed lead tip ammo, buy a box and ensure it feeds reliably. The M1 Carbine series feed directly from the magazine,nose-first onto a feed ramp, which subsequently re-directs the cartridge into the chamber. Often exposed lead bullets will deform and cause jams upon impact with the feedramp. My experience indicates the greater the amount of lead exposed, the greater the probability of jams.

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Back