M1 Carbine question

Just noticed that the unit that houses the gas piston and piston nut wobbles. That can't be good for accuracy. Is this unit just staked in?

I thought they were made as part of the barrel on USGI M1 Carbines. What kind of M1 Carbine are you looking at? Universals had the gas piston block brazed in place. Can't think of how any others were made.

The housing was a separate piece (had to be since there no other way to drill out the gas port) that slid over the barrel. I'm inlined to think they were staked into place.

BTW, it's an IAI (aftermarket).

"...gas piston block brazed in place..." So did issue Carbines.
IAI(Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2003) carbines were known to have QC issues. Don't recall exactly what though. The barrels have a cast swaged gas piston housing. Shouldn't be wobbling though.
Barrels were made by Green Mountain.

I have an IMI bbl where the housing is dovetailed on.
Are we talking about the gas cylinder portion (integral or attached to the barrel) or the nut that retains the piston?
I have seen the nut work loose.There is an armorer's wrench to tighten them,and I think they are staked.

The part that's supposed to be integral with the barrel is the gas piston housing. Brazed on. You might be able to re-braze it. Good welder can for sure.

Restaked the gas piston housing and then noticed another problem. The front sight was canted! You can't do squat about it. It is crucial that the gas piston is perpendicular to the bore and the front sight is canted (from user's view) to 11 o'clock.

When checking the rear sight, found that was canted to two o'clock. Figured I was going to have to recut the dovetail on a mill so the sight was removed. While my friend was studying the dovetail for level, I studied the sight. The sight was bent at the back. Apparently the monkey who assembled it didn't use the GI tool and used a punch. He placed it at the wrong spot and bent the sight base. :mad:

So, anyone checking out an IAI aftermarket check the following:

1) Gas piston housing for tightness. It's staked in.
2) Front sight for alignment with receiver.
3) Rear sight alignment.

BTW, the gas piston housing is slipped over the barrel and then a swage is used to compress the neck such that it won't slide forward and off the barrel. It is then staked in place. Not USGI standard.

Anyone see an Israeli reproduction and see how they do it?

I have an IMI. Nothing is sleeved over.The bbl,rails,etc is integral,but the gas cylinder is not.
They just cut a transverse dovetail,like for a sight,across the lower surface of the barrel.Its a pretty big dovetail.Plenty of steel,as the bottom of the bbl has extra,flat bottom,that the sliderails are cut into.

How are your iron sights?

The rear sight was machined, but as mentioned before, the monkey who installed it bent it. The rear sight spring for the sliding aperture wasn't strong enough and the entire thing (spring and aperture) popped off. At least the dovetail was cut right.

Mine is a mixmaster gun.Some aftermarket GI copy receiver.I was given a new Israeli Military Industries barrel. Assorted GI parts make up the rest.

Front sight clocking is fine.I do not recall if I made any adj at the barrel/rec joint to get it to index.I did have to use a pull-through chamber reamer for a touch more headspace.

The GI type front sight has an index key.It was done properly.

The rear sight has the GI type dovetail on the rec bridge.All good.The rec has the GI type adj rear sight.Mine is nice.Might be a quality repro.THe GI adj sights are pretty available,both GI and repro.Quality varies!! A good one is a good sight.

Update:Pleasant Surprise!! I though my carbine receiver was an aftermarket.I thought it was an "Inland Manufacturing"
But looking under the rear sight with my loupe in good light,I can see INL-----DIV.. So it would bean Inland Division GI rec.

A friend had (decades ago) started a build to a .35 wildcat on this rifle.I bought it and put it back to .30 carbine. I used the Israeli bbl because a smith friend gave it to me.

Last edited:
Back