M1 Carbine "Pouch"

Sixer

I found this in an ammo box that belonged to my grandfather. Not exactly sure what it is, but the box contained mostly .30 carbine ammo so... Anyhow it's just a double pouch type deal made from fairly thin cloth. Any ideas? Thanks!

DSC03136.jpg

???????????????

cant quite read the printing but looks like it is 1917.any thing else is different material.

That is indeed interesting! It is not for the .30 Carbine round, though the velocity listed is very close to that. The carbine round didn't come along for almost another quarter century.

It might have been a portion of a bandoleer for .30-40 Krag cartridges. They were still being loaded at that date, I understand. (In military bandoleers, I mean). At least, I have seen one such bandoleer in a collection.

The 1966 velocity seems to be consistent with what I remember of the old .30-40 Krag ballistics.

Definitely not .30-06, either full power or gallery load, as one is too low, and the other is too high. Too high for .30 Pedersen also.

So my vote is it is a remnant of a bandoleer of old Krag cartridges.

You know what, that actually makes sense. There were a number of different types of old ammo in the box where I found this. I'll probably have to post pics of the ammo because I'm not exactly sure how to identify most of them. The headstamps don't help much, I think they are mostly military rounds???

"...velocity close to .30 carbine..." "...dated 1917..."? Could have something to do with WWI "Pederson Device".

Here is some of the different ammo that was given to me along the "pouch" shown in the OP. I know what most of it is, but I'm not sure on some of the rimfire and larger rifle rounds. I'm not sure if you can identify them from the pics but here they are anyway :)

DSC03170.jpg

DSC03171.jpg

DSC03171b.jpg

Catridge IDs

Using the big photo: Left to right .30/06 Springfield, .30/40 Krag (aka .30 Army), .30M1 Carbine, .357 Magnum (with metal piercing bullet), .44/40 (aka .44WCF), .45ACP, .30 Luger, (aka 7.65 Parabellum), .380 Rimfire, .25 ACP, .22 Long Rifle, .22 Short, & (possibly) .22 CB?

Thanks Arquebus! I had no idea what a few of those were...

The cartridge 5th from the right is actaully a .32 rimfire. The only reason I know that is because I have a handfull of them that are still in the original box. :D

I appreciate the help!

FYI

The .45 Auto round you have EC 43 is loaded in a steel case. I had some of these rounds a long time ago. This was only done in 1943 (to save brass), and I would think that now they are rather collectible.

The cloth pouch is very interesting, especially the 1917 date. The 1966fps is too low for the .30-40 Krag (.30USA) which should be 2200fps for the 220gr bullet, and the date puts it decades before the .30 Carbine round. The only known round in that era and power range is the .30 Pedersen. I do not know what the specs for that one were, but I would assume something close to the .30 carbine, perhaps a bit less.

If your pouch was made to hold Pedersen rounds, that makes it a ver rare thing indeed.

Intersting... Any idea where I could find more info on this pouch? Or at least point me in the right direction...

Thanks for the insight 44 Amp!

Back