M1 Carbine I.D.

1woo

Inactive
Hi guys i have an M1 Carbine that seems to be a mutt, she has the ser# 3156 in front of the rear site, Natl' Ord behind it and the 2 line US Carbine Cal 30 M1 in front of the reciever and IR in the sling well, and no other markings on barrel,or side of reciever etc, i'm thinking maybe a rebuild, can anyone help,it was my gramps gun he was in ww2 and i think Korea

Last edited:
National Ord. was a civilian gun maker, so perhaps you have a carbine with a commercial receiver either new made by them, or a reweld of a demilled receiver. Often those old commercial carbines were on balance GI parts with a newly made receiver, and the catch is, commercial receivers were sometimes problematic. As far as quality, hardness, dimensional correctness, and headspace in the final assembly. So it is sort of a mutt, but as long as you have it safety inspected and headspace checked, it might be a good shooter.

Your grandfather may have very well have carried a M1 Carbine in Korea, but it wasn't that one. Perhaps what he meant was, "A" M1 Carbine was his gun in Korea. Heck, I was first there the first time in 1960 and " A" M2 Carbine was my gun. One of the problems with National Ordnance was , after they ran out of Milsurp receivers they had their own made by casting. As already stated some of these " cast " receivers will crack big time .

Back