M1-A operating rod problem.

nwgunman

I can't dismount the op rod from the receiver. The dismount notice looks way too small. Usually only light finger pressure is required to dismount the op rod. IF I can ever get this thing out, I am considering reducing the dimentions of the guide stud on the op rod. Any suggestions?

Please provide the dimensions of the stud. I'll check and repost in a few days when I'm back.

Have you checked for straightness? If the Op Rod is bent, that could also be causing the problem.

45V50 Gary: Op rod looks straight. I'm assuming you mean a really obvious bend or kink. This M1A is new and I haven't been pounding the bolt open or anything. Can't provide the dismount stud dimentions until I get the dang thing off. It's nothing like my old M1 Garand, which was a piece of cake to dismount. Thanks.

The Op Rod Receiver guide stud should be .100"-.005" (width). It's height should be .320"-.003" and length .330"-.010".

If you're rod isn't bent (hopefully not), there could also be a problem with your receiver (out of spec for dismounting notch or guide notch) or burr in the guide stud slot.

Op rod still resisting my efforts. Thanks for the specs. When, and if I get this thing out, I'll check it out. I'm going try to get my hands on a different unit and check out the notch and etc. Thanks again.

I got the op rod off finally. It doesn't look "bent". It measures just under for the dimentions: 0.100 for width, 0.317 for height, and 0.329 for length. But it's not a "clean" looking piece of machining on the stud. I'm gonna give Fulton Armory a call and maybe talk to them about a replacement or maybe some "home gunsmithing". Thanks for all the replies and stay safe.

Back