M1.30 Carbine

heeneytick

Inactive
Anyone that can turn me onto a site where I can research a pristine M1 .30 carbine I bought today? Have tried several sites including Inland but have'nt found anyone to help me out as to exactly what year it was manufactured. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Go to www.surplusrifleforum.com and find the 30 M1 carbine forum down on the list. There is a "sticky" post there giving dates of mfr. Not like they can tell you what day it was made or anything, but they have gotten sometimes within the proper month or a month or two of mfr. Usually on a gun that has the original barrel, the date on the barrel will be fairly close to that serial range. If the barrel is replaced, it can be any date.

http://m1carbineforum.forumco.com/default.asp
http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/24460/t/m1-carbine-date.html

Inland Division of General Motors
1 - 5 (Tool Room Models) (Nov. 1941)
6 - 999,999 (May 1942 - Sept. 1943)
2,912,520 - 3,212,519 (Sept. 1943 - Jan. 1944)
4,879,526 - 5,549,820 (Jan. 1944 - Aug. 1944)
6,219,689 - 6,449,867 (Aug. 1944 - Nov. 1944)
6,629,884 - 6,664,883 (Nov. 1944 - Jan. 1945)
6,664,884 - 7,234,883 (Jan. 1945 - Aug. 1945)
7,369,661 - 8,069,660 (Jan. 1945 - Aug. 1945)

They usually have a month and year stamped on the barrel. But you have to determine if it is the original barrel, alot of arsenal reworked carbines have swapped or replaced barrels. That will not then tell you anything except when the barrel was made.

Go to Amazon and buy

US M1 Carbines, Wartime Production by Craig Riesch, fifth addition

A Collector's Gude to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine by Bruce N. Canfield

War Baby! The U.S. Caliber .30 Carbine Vol. 1 and War Baby! Comes Home Vol. 2 By Larry L. Ruth

Then go to odcmp.com/new_forum and click on Carbines.

The CMP forum folks will probably be able to tell you everything you want to know, but it's better in my opinion to get the source material so you can find the info for yourself.

Ruth's books are really great, but for hardcore people, they cost me 60$ apiece ten years ago or so. I sold them when I downsized my carbines and now the price is probably alot higher. One of the little paperback collectors guides would be helpful as well as the reprints of the gov't manuals on them. I am sure the carbine collectors assoc. has a website but I don't know it anymore.

Hard to admit, but as a writer, I do get a little frustrated when there are so many resources out there. People will pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for carbines and won't spend $20-$40 bucks for a reference.
Then, those who have shelled out the money for the books post authors' hardfound intellectual property all over boards like this for free.

I don't see any intellectual property on here. Lot of stuff is common knowledge or shared by collectors. If you have started a substantial collection of a type of firearm it may behoove you to spend a large sum on collector books but for a common user with one example of a gun, it does not make sense to spend that cash. Unless he just likes to read about the particular gun. What's the beef?

M1 Carbine Research

Go to M1 CarbineForum.com. You will have to register, which takes only a few moments. You will find all the info you want. These r a bunch great guys as well as the most knowledgable you will find.

Back