M-pro 7 or hoppes for solvents??

Goodguy14

Hi all,
I'm new to gun ownership.. I've heard great things on both m-pro 7 and hoppes as gun cleaning solvents. What are your thoughts??

Everyone has their favorites and swear by them. Personally, I don't like Hoppes and think other products work better. Also, be aware that some of Hoppes products should not be used on nickle or chrome finishes. I have no experience with the M-Pro products, so no comment.

I tried a lot and I personally like "ClenzOil: Field and Range". It is a all-in-one CLP product (clean, lube and protect) that I find to work very well. The odor of the product is not overpowering either, it is almost a pine scent (they also sell a "dirt" sent for hunters who want to mask any gun oil smells). You can use it on any surface without worry, be it any firearm finish, wood, polymer, plastics, rubber and even leather. I really like the way it cleans all my revolvers, shotguns and pistol.

http://www.clenzoil.com/field__range.aspx

(There's that thing I said about "Everyone has their favorites and swear by them"... lol)

Cool I'll look into that... I was looking more into a solvent and a gun oil seperate. I have some betetta gun oil figured buying the brand of my gun couldn't hurt. I know a lot of people swear by CLPs only. Seems like a good easy way to clean and lube thought!

As far as just solvents go in my local gun shops it seems hoppes and m-pro 7 are the brands most go with..

I have heard that hoppes is not good for chrome lined barrels. Since it could eliminate the copper base that's underneath the nickel and chrome. Anyone hear of this? Makes sense because I hear that it's bad for the nickel barrels. Chrome is only a layer on top of nickel plating. I worked at a plating shop back in the day. Chrome is a 3 layer plating process.. First layer copper, 2nd nickel, and the chrome last.. Makes sense if hoppes removes copper, if there are any cracks in the chrome and nickel could cause trouble..??

I have used Mpro7 for years and have had great luck with it. It is clean, it does not smell so I use it in my house. It works well and is expensive.

It has not hurt any of my chrome lined barrels.

I buy it by the gallon and just soak guns in it. Works well in the ultrasonic.

While I have not used Mpro7 solvent, I think their gun oil is just about the best out there. Hoppes has always worked for me, but Mpro7 might be worth a try.

Used Hoppes for years and still use it to soak shotgun chokes to remove the burned plastic residue. It works fine for almost all cleaning.

I've changed to MPro for most cleaning now. Works great and is odorless which makes my wife happy. I do miss the smell of Hoppes No. 9. I always liked the smell.

Either is a good choice.

I've been using MPro-7 for several years now. It's actually a pretty amazing cleaner. I've cleaned the face of a stainless revolver cylinder to where it looks new. No trace of carbon. You'll want to re-lube everything though because it strips all oil and grease off the metal.

Brownells....

Brownells.com has the Hoppes #9 car-deodorizer. :D

No word if they are going to have a Yankee Candle Company scent yet. ;)

Ballistol...

I like the light pine scent of Ballistol. :D
I use it for weapons & my duty handcuffs as well as around the home.

Clyde

Hoppes is what we used in the Army so I still often use it.

MPro7 was recommended to me by my trusted gunsmith, so I often use it as well.

Neither has ever messed up anything whatever in any of my many rifles and handguns.

Here is my formula, and has been for over sixty years:

Hoppe's No.9 for cleaning, 50/50 mix motor oil and Three-in-One Oil for preserving the finish.

I've tried all the Gee-Whiz products in aerosol cans. Never bought them twice.

Bob Wright

trying since '76

Just cleaning?
Brake cleaner (the cheap stuff in the Auto section at your local box)

Aerosal gun-specific choice?
Gun-Scrubber

Bore?
RB17

Lubrication?
BreakFree CLP (can substitue TW25); Tetragun Grease

Corrosion protection?
Corrosion X

Banned/defunct best choices?
Prolix (the banned kind :D) / S&W Friction Block

Super-lazy?
Cylinder & Slide Dunk-It

M-pro 7 (both types) the powder solvent & the copper remover. They really do work together.

Something I never thought of before switching from Hoppes. Cleanup of jags, tips & brushes is in hot water. Try that trick with Hoppes!:)

Mpro manufactures Hoppes Elite, the products are damn near identical, just a FYI.

I've been using Mpro gun cleaner, bore gel and oil for a while now and have been really pleased with the results on all my polymer framed pistols and AR's. This stuff really hammers on carbon and powder fouling when it comes to cleaning. I do like that the gun cleaner which also doubles as bore cleaner doesn't eat away at the bore brushes The oil seems to not dry up after a few weeks like some others I have used and doesn't seem to leave a gummy residue behind.

I've used the copper cleaner and I'm still not 100% on it only because I like to keep my guns clean and haven't really had a chance to shoot much since fall. Once highpower season starts up around here I'll be able to give the copper cleaner a better look.

It doesn't stink up the place, melt fingertips off, supposedly non toxic although keep in mind some of the things you are cleaning out of your gun may be so get yourself some nitrile gloves just in case. I see they sell it at Walmart now so that's always a plus that you can go anywhere and find it.

Back