M&P recoil spring confusion

qqq1

I'm trying to find the correct recoil springs for both an original 4.25" M&P40 and a 2.0 5" M&P40. Many people keep saying they take the same springs and some even said the same guide rod. When I pull the guide rods from both and compare they are different. The 2.0 5" guide rod is a bit longer. Besides that there was about 32 coils on the original 4.25" and about 42 on the 2.0 5". I even emailed S&W but all I got was a quick "they have different parts numbers so they are different" reply. How could they take the same spring when I compare them and they are different? Where are all the 2.0 springs?

You could check with company’s like Springco who specialize in making these springs for all different pistols and see what they offer. Also Galloway precision might have them in various weights to include factory rated.

I'd be more inclined to go with what S&W says then what I read somewhere online. If all you're looking for is replacements you could just call S&W and order directly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I did check with Galloway and Wolff, they claimed their stuff only works with original 4.25" even though I see people all over saying they are using those in 2.0 and 5". I'm looking for heavier springs and it looks like S&W only offers the standard weight.

Ah gotcha.

Springs aren't super expensive so you could grab something and try them out, cut coils as need be maybe?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've been dumb and not taking a picture to easily show the difference. Someone else was smarter than me so here is their picture. The bottom is a 5" 1.0 which uses the same rod/spring as the 4.25" 1.0. The top is a 5" 2.0, clearly different. I don't know if the 4.25" 2.0 is the same as the 1.0 or if all 2.0 are longer.

There is no reason to change the springs.
I'm pretty sure the gun's designers knew better than you what springs to put in their guns.

Or I could do what I want with my property no matter what your opinion is. Yes, I think I'll go with that.

Back