M&P can be nudged out of battery when loaded, issue?

raisins

Inactive
Just shot my M&P m2.0 45 acp compact today for the third time.

I had a round chambered with around 5 in the mag sitting at the bench. I look down and the slide is pulled back maybe 1/16th of an inch, enough that the gun would not have fired (tested it when empty). So, I pushed the slide forward and shot.

I later had the pistol loaded again and pulled the slide back a bit and was able to get it to do this again at will. When empty, there aren't rounds providing friction and so the slide snaps back to its correct position.

This is obviously not ideal because I could nudge the gun out of battery in a stressful time and not be able to shoot.

So my questions: Is this common for M&P or other pistols and so not a "flaw" but something to be aware of? Is this a defect that S&W should address? Is there a gunsmith fix like a heavier recoil spring?

Thanks

I had a similar incident with one of my M&Ps when I first got it. It went away after several hundred rounds. Not sure how many exactly, but I put about 400 rds through it in the first two or three months I had it, and it wasn't doing that anymore by then.

The gun should be going fully into battery when you load a round.

One nice thing about striker-fired pistols is that you can "karate chop" the back of the slide to either drive it into battery or to insure it is in battery without injuring your hand on the gun's hammer. However, you shouldn't need to do it.

If the gun isn't going into battery fully when a round is loaded, either the ammo or the gun needs attention.

Pulling the slide back a little and then letting it gently go back forward should ideally result in the gun going fully into battery, but that's really not how semi-autos are designed to work. They are supposed to work when the slide is all the way back, or at least almost all the way fully back and released abruptly to strip a round, feed it and slam into battery.

Thanks for the replies. It's been 100% reliable over the 250 rounds I've put through it (cheap Winchester white box). After reading the replies here and other resources on the internet, I've decided I'm not worried but will just be aware of this and will push the slide forward when holstering.

Same with my M&P9. Just a range toy so never worried. However if you’re worried about it going slightly out of battery due to friction while holstering, that same friction should theoretically pull the slide back into battery while drawing no?

The fear would be that in an altercation if someone grabbed the gun then they could take it out of battery and once I regained control of the firearm then I would have to remember to check this, which in a situation like that is not ideal.

I have 2 full size, 1 9c and a 2.0 compact. None of them will stay out of battery as you describe.

If i crack the slide open, i cant get em to stay that way no matter how gently i release it. The slide just locks up. Granted, these all have >3000 rounds each (the 9c is the lowest round count)

I was able to replicate the problem with my M&P9 2.0 5". It also reacted like the one in the video when the trigger was pressed. I'm not sure of the round count, at least 700, maybe just short of 1K.

I tried this on my M&P 2.0 Compact in 9mm and I couldn't seem to get it to happen. It just didn't want to hang out of battery. The pistol does have 1k+ rds through it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The fear would be that in an altercation if someone grabbed the gun then they could take it out of battery and once I regained control of the firearm then I would have to remember to check this, which in a situation like that is not ideal.

This can potentially happen to any semi auto pistol that doesn't have a fixed barrel. Remotely possible with a fixed barrel gun, but much much less likely.

Your gun is new, new guns can be a little "sticky". This is one of the reasons why we talk about a "break in period" before putting the gun into serious use. There is no "set" number of rounds. Just keep an eye on the way the gun runs, and if you have minor glitches (like not going fully into battery with a new gun) seeing if they go away after things get "used" to moving together.

Also, the proper lubrication, which includes removing the factory "lube" to begin with. Guns are shipped with a "lube" that isn't a lube. exactly. It is a protective coating, which may have some lubricating properties, but it isn't the right lubrication for using the pistol, and, its not meant to be.

Clean your gun thoroughly, lube it correctly, shoot a few hundred rounds, and see if you still have the problem. IF you do, THEN its time to contact the maker, about it.

I won't repeat the correct things that most folks said. I'll just add that if your slide pushes back slightly out of battery while holstering you can do one or more of several things:

1. place your thumb, or the pad of your hand, over the rear of the slide while holstering to keep the slide in place.

2. Work the holster some, holstering and re-holstering till things smooth out some.

3. Try a different holster.

Small light weight pieces often have issues with this. Usually at first as they break in. It's not a good idea to settle for a gun going out of battery being holstered and while holstered.

tipoc

I would offer the idea that the slide coming slightly out of battery as you start to holster a striker fired pistol is not, in itself, an entirely bad thing. As long as the same friction that is creating an out of battery condition pulls it back into battery on the draw this would help prevent a negligent discharge caused by the trigger being activated by the holster itself. Of course its not fail-safe and should not be relied on but it would not be something that would bother me.

Back