M Frame Smith and Wesson

Blue Duck357

I'm sure this has been covered before but searching for it is a bit tricky, so please be kind. Smith and Wesson has a J K L and N frame revolver, so what ever happned to the M frame? I know the L came out well after the N and K frames, do they just leave a letter space because they might release a model in between sizes later or what?

Thanks, Blue Duck

Ah, the ORIGINAL LadySmith revolvers!

The M-frame was a 7-shot .22 Long Rifle revolver introduced around 1902, and which lasted until 1921.

There were 3 distinct models, but only the first used the traditional side-latch to release the cylinder. The guns were simply so small that on the second and third models the latch was done away with and the cylinder was secured by a pull-knob fixture on the front of the barrel lug which acted on the ejector rod.

All three models can bring well in excess of $1,000 on the collectors market, with rare features such as target sights and longer barrels bring a lot more.

The story goes that these guns were favorites of prostitutes, and when Joseph Wesson found that out he pulled the guns off the market. Fun story, probably not true.

Twas also called the Smith & Wesson Pocket Revolver. Seven shots; 3.5" barrel standard; weight, 10oz; .22cal.

Even smaller and lighter than the I frame, but like the I it had the general appearance of a midget K frame.

Sam

Back