M 39 stock "Finnishing"

ks_wayward_son

I received my M39 BAV 1 Fin from SOG yesterday. That rifle is niiiiiiiice...came with an additional sling too. SOG has done well lately for me IMHO. Question about the stock...it looks completely raw and unfinnished (actualy it is Finnish, but...:rolleyes:). What do you fellows recommend about stock work? To me it looks like its screaming for a nice BLO treatment, but want to stay true to the cause.

On a side note...it came with a cool identification tag in Finnish. To me, the little "extra things" that come with these old war horses are what make a nice historical piece...can't really find that on commercially produced arms today. Kind of like the troop tag with the K31. Realizing that ID tag has been on the rifle for 70 or so years...Im keeping it with my other C&R stuff.

On the back of the tag is a phrase that says:

Huomautuksia:

Aseelle on suoritettu optinen kylma-kohdistus

On the "a" in kyla, theres an umlaut (oomlat..not sure of spelling). Anybody speak Fin? :confused:

A quick trip to the Google translator turns up this literal translation:

"Comments: The firearm is carried out in the cold-optical alignment"

Makes perfect sense now, eh? ;)

Actually, I used Google translate..and it translates to:

Notes:

I carried a firearm, a cold optical-alignment

Cool.

Clark...your translation makes more sense than mine.:p

Quite research yielded results about a mix of turpentine, pine tar, and beeswax. I think I might do the BLO with mineral spirits though. Used that on my 91/30 and turned out great. Maybe after I put the BLO and spirits on, Ill think about a coat or two of the pine tar also. IDK.

Notes:

The firearm is carried out in the cold-optical alignment

And this is what Google translate gave me. LOL LOL!!!

Here's a totally uneducated, speculative guess as to the meaning: It's possbily cautioning the user to avoid lubricants that will gum up in the cold, and relating the fact that the gun was bore sighted.

:confused::confused::confused:

I asked this very question on some of the Finnish M39 boards. The answer I got was don't worry about it i.e. don't put anything on the stock. The stock in question was on my 68 "sneak".:cool:
Best,
Rob

There really shouldn't be a need to put anything on the stock. Lemon oil wouldn't hurt or affect anything and could be used to wipe off grime.

Try the stock restoration section on surplusrifleforum. A guy there named candyman has good tips on preserving old stocks.

Back