M-1A Op Rod Removal

Fred S

Just got a new M-1A and was trying to take it apart. it came with the GI M-14 manual which explains how to remove the operating rod. But I can't sem to get it to off the roller on the bolt. I have taken apart tow chinese M-14 clones before but can't seem to get my new Springfiled to come apart. I have Garands and know how to remove their op rods. I guess I'm not postitioning the rod properly before attempting to remove it? Any help out there?

Fred

These rods are tough. Here's what I do: Get the op rod aligned with the notch. The back of the op rod should be centered on the rear sight windage nob. Stick a screw driver down next to the stripper clip guide and pop out the op rod.

Don't worry, it'll be fine. This is what Springfield told me to do.

Tom

It took me 50 minutes to remove my op rod for the first time. Those danged factory instructions are so vague, and the USGI instructions are equally help-less.

It seems everytime I try to remove the op-rod, I totally forget how I did it the last time. I just tried Tomas' trick (sans screwdriver) and it works good.

A screwdriverless method.
-Rest your rifle on the left side of the receiver with the muzzle pointing to your left.
-Line up the rear of the op rod with almost the rear of the takedown slot.
-Put your left index finger under the op-rod, just to the left of the clip guide. the end of your finger should be contacting the roller-cam guide slot.
-Place your right hand/finger behind the op-rod charging handle. (The surface that is the bottom of the handle when the rifle is right side up).
-Using your left index finger, apply upward pressure on the op-rod, then with your right hand, pull the charging handle towards your body (up-in relation to the rifle). Try wiggleing if its stubborn.

This has been working for me as I've typed this. I've shot about 750 rounds through my M1A, so the action may be loosened up so that it's easier to take down.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by jcoyoung (edited May 10, 2000).]

Oh yea,

When I first bought my rifle, the shop guys told me to shoot at least 50 rounds through it before I attempted to disassemble it. They mentioned that it was because of the tight fit between the stock and the rifle. Maybe the op-rod difficulties is the real reason.

Back