M-1 Garand tips & tricks

Trebor

I wrote an article on M-1 Garand tips and tricks for my Michigan Firearms Examiner column. I had to break it into three parts due to article size restrictions.

Here's the links:

Tips and tricks for the M-1 Garand
The best Garand manual, loading the 'en bloc' clips, and "The tragedy of M-1 Thumb."

M-1 Garand tips & tricks: Part 2 - Cleaning, lubrication, ammo & spare parts

M-1 Garand tips & tricks: Part 3 - Malfunctions & accuracy improvements
I also wrote a couple articles on purchasing Garands from the CMP.

How to purchase a M-1 Garand from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP)

A look at the best CMP M-1 Garand choices available

Commercial Ammo for Garand is ok if.....

Thank you for the articles they are well written and informative. I just received an HRA Service Grade M1 rifle the beginning of this month with an ME: 1.5, and TE 1.5 so I'm really happy it'll be a good shooter.

You mentioned not to shoot commercial ammo but here in CA we can't use the Greek HXP ammo sold at CMP due to the "magnet attraction" on the bullet (fire danger in the CA brush). So I ordered an adjustable gas plug to alleviate operating rod damage. After shooting the commercial ammo I will plan to start reloading my used brass to the correct M1 reload specs and using CCI #34 military primers to reduce slam fires.

There are two gas ports on the market to safely allow commercial ammo usage but I still choose to keep my commercial round choices under 170gr. With the adjustable gas plug you can turn the M1 Garand into a bolt action rifle in the extreme setting.

The McCann Adjustable Gas System
(My opinion easier to use - 5 preset jets, match the jet to the different ammo)
http://www.mccannindustries.com/parts.html

Schuster M1 Garand Adjustable Gas Nut
(Not as easy to use, you need to readjust from the beginning everytime you change ammo)
http://www.schustermfg.com/

Brownells sells both plugs and Midway the Schuster only.

Hope this will help some of us who have to use commercial ammo.

Good info on the adjustable gas plugs. I don't have an adjustable plug on any of my rifles, but I've been thinking of installing one on one rifle as an experiment or just so I have a rifle that works with more ammo choices.

I don't use a gas plug simply because I don't need one. My Garand shooting is limited to CMP GSM Vintage Rifle Matches. You shoot 100 or 200 yards. You don't need a lot of velocity, you need accuracy.

Accuracy does not mean velocity. It doesn't take a whole lot of power at 200 yards. Mild loads with 173 surplus match bullets using medium powder (4895). Really no trick to it, shoot for accuracy, normally as light as you can get it and still work the action.

It's easier on the gun and shooter.

One interesting fact about the M1 was not the way it increased firepower, but the way it decreased fatigue. In one test in the late 1930's, soldiers with M1903 rifles fired alongside soldiers with M1 rifles in a simulated defense of a trench against large scale attacks, like those in WWI. Each soldier was to fire (IIRC) 200 rounds.

At the end of the drill, the M1-armed soldiers were fresh enough to leave the trench and charge the enemy. Those armed with the bolt action were totally exhausted and some had to be hospitalized; many couldn't even finish the full 200 rounds of ammo.

Jim

I'd like to see that study. I fired a lot of rapid fire, even shooting the ITT (Rattle Battle) with a bolt gun. Didn't seem tiring to me.

Back