Lyman Tang sight on Marlin 336Cowboy

Cheese Man

Inactive
Does anybody have any experience with the above mentioned sight on a Marlin lever of any kind? I've been told if I load up a hunting load for the gun, the sight will bite my hand.
Any help will be appreciated.

Cheese Man :confused:

------------------
" IF YOU CAN'T HIT IT WITH SIX SHOTS, USE A CLUB!"

I've always seen the tang sight as an accessory suitable only for very deliberate target panning. It interferes with a normal grip on the small of the stock; with the movement of the bolt, and is an invitation to eye injury if the arm is quickly shouldered without care or has heavy recoil. They are also a nuisance to adjust, often requiring shims to achieve proper windage. Lever actions do very well with receiver peep sights. I prefer to leave the tang style rear sight to the Creedmore shooters.
slabsides

I'd go for a receiver peep myself. But I may be biased, there's 7 guns here suitable for deer hunting and 5 of them have peep sights, including a coupla 870s.

Did have a tang site on a muzzleloader and a replica of a Rolling Block in 45-70. Don't recall hunting much with them tho.

Gents,
Thanks, the general consensis seems to be forget the tang sight. I'm looking at peep sights now.

Cheese Man :cool:

------------------
" IF YOU CAN'T HIT IT WITH SIX SHOTS, USE A CLUB!"

Back