Lyman Repros--Opinions, Please

JayC

I have no experience with Lyman BP revolver repros, which I understand they don't make anymore. Does anyone know anything about their .36 Navy model, with a silver frame treatment? One has been offered for sale locally, but I haven't seen it yet. Depending on your feedback, I may not pursue it at all. the price quoted was $150, and I know it has been shot some, including a load with inverted lead .38 (prob. .357) bullets.

The Lyman guns were very high quality. If I remember right, they imported guns from two different manufacturers. I believe Euro Arms was one. $150 sounds like a good price if the gun is in good shape.

This is from the bluebook of modern Blackpowder Arms.

1858 REMINGTON .36 NAVY
- .36 cal perc., 6 shot, 5.5 in. barrel. Disc.
Grading 100% 98% 90% 80%
$125 $105 $70 $50
Last MSR was $170.

They don't say who they imported their guns from, but if the threads are covered at the breech and there is no scooped out area of the frame it is an Euroarms/Armi San Paolo. if the threads are visible, then it's in all probablity an Uberti.

I neglected to mention that I am relatively new to C&B. I should have specified that it is a repro of a Colt, most likely a '51 (as opposed to '61). I imagine that difference will affect the value.

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the reply.

Lyman Revolvers

Lyman's black powder revolvers were made by Armi San Paolo and Uberti.
Following are models that have been observed. If anyone knows of any others I would like to add them to the list.

Armi San Paolo (Now Euroarms)

1851 Navy
1851 Navy Civilian Model
1860 Army Civilian Model
Remington Beals Army
Remington Beals Navy

Uberti

Remington 1858 New Model Army
Remington 1858 New Model Navy

Check the RPRCA web site at:

http://rprca.tripod.com[/u You can...heck reviews on Amazon.com about their books.

Last edited:
BPRevolver,
I want to pick your brain on the Centennial Arms 1960 New Model Army produced in Belgium in the 1960'to approx 1970.
What info on these do you have and where Can I find it. We have a couple discussions going on about these Revolvers at CASCITY.COM in the STORM forum.

They are well known in Europe and considered collector's items there and it seems that they are coming into their own here now. I just bought two . They are very well made.

Thanks, and for the heads up about the BLUE Books. Those of us who have traded guns for years realize the prices in the books are not all that reliable , either too much or too little.

I guess I have joined your ranks with my 2 @nd Gen 1851 Colt Nayies and the two 1860 Centaur(centennial) Armies.

Centennial Arms Corp. Revolvers

The following is a section in the Replica Percussion Revolver Collector's Association book that is nearing first release. You might be interested in their web site at: http://rprca.tripod.com

CENTENNIAL ARMS CORPORATION - 1960

Made in Liege, Belgium by Centaure.

This company dates from1852 when J. Hanquet signed contract with Sam Colt to produce Colt’s Patent (Colt Brevete) revolvers in Liege, Belgium.

Produced the 1860 Army named the “New Model Army” in following configurations:

1. Three screw frame cut for shoulder stock, toe on butt for shoulder stock, with plain rebated cylinder. Brass trigger guards and steel back strap with 8” barrel. Serial numbers #1 – 1400. However, plain rebated cylinders have occurred in the 3000 serial number range

2. Three-screw frame cut for shoulder stock, toe on butt for shoulder stock, with Colt Navy scene engraved rebated cylinder. Brass trigger guards and steel back strap with 8” barrel. Engraving lacks background detail found on original Colts. Serial numbers above 1400.

3. Three-screw frame cut for shoulder stock, toe on butt for shoulder stock, with Colt Navy scene engraved rebated cylinder. Brass trigger guards and steel back strap with 7 1/2” barrel. Engraving lacks background detail found on original Colts. Serial numbers above 1400.

4. Civilian Model - Three-screw frame not cut for shoulder stock, no toe on butt for shoulder stock, with Colt Navy scene engraved rebated cylinder. Silver trigger guard and back strap with 8” barrel. Serial numbers have “C” prefix. The legend “ENGAGED 16TH MAY 1843” appeared on first 500 of these guns.

5. Civilian Model - Three-screw frame not cut for shoulder stock, no toe on butt for shoulder stock, with Colt Navy scene engraved rebated cylinder. Silver trigger guard and back strap with 8” barrel. Serial numbers have “C” prefix. No legend on cylinder

6. Stocked Model – Four-screw frame cut for shoulder stock, toe on butt for shoulder stock, full fluted cylinder, and detachable shoulder stock. Brass trigger guards and steel back strap with 7 1/2” barrel. Serial numbers bear “F” prefix.

7. Sheriff’s Model – Civilian Model with 4” barrel and full fluted cylinder. Special order

Other Models Proposed and Advertised by Centennial Arms Italian Manufacture (None have ever been observed)

1. 1847 Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon

2. 1850 2nd Model Dragoon

3. 1851 3rd Model Dragoon – Target sights, cut for shoulder stock with Shoulder Stock

Other Models by Centennial Arms Manufactured by Investarms-Italian Manufacture

1. 1851 Navy – Engraved cylinder, brass trigger guard and back strap

2. 1851 Navy Sheriff’s Model – 5” barrel, engraved cylinder, brass trigger guard and back strap

3. 1851 Navy – Half-fluted cylinder, brass trigger guard and back strap, lanyard ring.

4. 1851 Navy Sheriff’s Model - 5” barrel, half-fluted cylinder, brass trigger guard and back strap, lanyard ring.

5. Remington 1858 New Model Army

6. Remington 1858 New Model Army Target Model

7. Schneider & Glassick - .36cal., engraved cylinder

8. Schneider & Glassick - .44cal., rebated/engraved cylinder

9. Schneider & Glassick Sheriff’s Model - .36cal., 5” barrel, engraved cylinder (only model ever obsevered

Centennial Revolver Kits

1. 1851 Navy

2. 1860 Army

3. Remington 1858 New Model Army

4. Schneider & Glassick

Markings Observed

< Barrel Muzzle

"1860 NEW MODEL ARMY" CENTENNIAL TRADE MARK CHICAGO U.S.A.

"1860 NEW MODEL ARMY"

CENTENNIAL TRADE MARK "1860 NEW MODEL ARMY"

"1860 NEW MODEL ARMY" CENTENNIAL TRADE MARK

CENTENNIAL
TRADE MARK (Two lines on LtSd Barrel Flat above wedge)
Investarms trademark on Butt

These are very collectable. I am currently looking for the 1860 Army, Fluted cylinder, stocked. If you know of one let me know.

I also have two USFA black powder revolvers you might be interested in knowing about. They are both U.S. Patent Firearms marked before Colt put the screws to them about the name.

1851 Navy is marked:

-ADDRESS U.S. PATENT HARTFORD CT. U.S. AMERICA - (Top Barrel) U.S. Patent (LtSd Frame)

1860 Army is marked:

-ADDRESS U.S. PATENT HARTFORD CT. U.S. AMERICA - (Top Barrel)

1860 Army has Stag Grips fitted in their custom shop. Have original box, papers, and original invoices. 1851 Navy came in original box, also with papers, and extra cylinder. Absolutely top quality, much much better than any Colt. I was at the first Shot Show when the then, U.S. Patent Firearms introduced themselves with the most fantastic display of all the revolvers they proposed to make polished in the white. So perfectly polished that they appeared to be nickle plated.

Hope this helps. Would it help to post this on their forum?

I was going to say yes by all means then I looked and you already had posted it there.
Thanks for the heads up. Your info jives with what Bootsie in Germany has found out too. We didn't know about the different models that they produced.

My first one(first purchased) is a bit different, as it is cut for Stock, but no toe on butt. It is a later gun S/N 184XX With this on the top of the bbl. "1860 NEW MODEL ARMY" CENTENNIAL TRADE MARK ,engraved cylinder with "Engaged May 16,1843" Pistol is in 75-85% condition

My second one is an earlier gun. S/N 299X
Marked CENTENNIAL TRADE MARK "1860 NEW MODEL ARMY" Cut for stock with toe on butt.
Engraved Naval scene with "Engaged May 16, 1843 Pistol is in 85-95% condition.

Both mine have CENTENNIAL in the Cylinder S/N panel.

Both of these purchased within the last two weeks.

Back