Lyman Pistol, .54 caliber?

shurshot

OK, my Dixie order arrived today. Lyman Plains Pistol, nice quality gun!!! They sent me a .54 instead of the .50 I ordered. Honest mistake I'm sure, as the box's code was the same as listed for the .50 gun's code on the website, and not for the .54, although it was marked as a .54 on the box, and on the gun itself. Anyhow, I'm not unhappy in the least, I just need ammo to fit it! I wrote to Dixe to see if they will send me some ammo/patches to fit it. So, any good pet loads out there for the .54 Lyman pistol? I'm looking to hunt small game/target shoot. As far as balls, .530 or .535? Any one know the velocity of the .54 round ball w/50 grains out of the Lyman pistol barrel?

Loads range from 30 - 60 grains depending on whether it's for target or hunting.
Almost everyone prefers the .530 ball and .015 patch.
32 grains of fffg is one recommended target load for shooting at 25 yards (This is equivalent to about 35 grains of ffg).
Accuracy can be helped by keeping the barrel clean of powder fouling and by using a wonder wad or two under the ball.
Some people have actually cracked their stock by shooting .50 grains of powder while others haven't.

You can even buy a spare barrel for about $40 from Midsouth:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/

Last edited:
Dixie Gun Works is sending me free Speer Balls/wads to make up for the mistake. I could have returned the .54 and swapped it for a .50 at no cost to me, but I'm content with the free shooting supplies for the .54. I may end up prefering this bigger caliber more in the long run...:D Dixie is a reputable dealer and I will be doing buisiness with them again, as they have gone out of their way to resolve this error and to ensure that I was satisfied.

Dixie tries to keep up but every one screws up. I do quite a bit of buisness with them. Glad to hear you are keeping the .54 Lyman. You'll like it. I use 40 grains FFFg and ball or 65 and 425 grain Buffalo Bullet for deer. Have fired 100 grains FFFG, but I don't advise it.

As stated above heavy charges of black powder may split your stock. Having done this myself, I've taken to taking a new gun apart and glass beding the from the locks back. I under cut the area below the top of the stock. Have never had another split or crack.
James:) ;) :cool:

Back