Lyman Great Plains Rifle Loads?

Hey Guys,

I know some of you have to have some lyman great plain rifles out there, especially since you recommended me to my one. :) What loads do you use for them? I'm almost finished with my kit, all that is left is blueing the metal, and tru-oiling the stock. I just want to find the best load you guys have found, though I know it will most likely take some experimentation on my part.

Thanks,
Rylan

Is your great plains rifle a Great Plains Rifle or a Great Plains Hunter?

The GPR has a 1:60 twist and the GPH is 1:32, which will determine what style projectile it will shoot best - patched round balls in the GPR and conicals in the GPH.

Twist does makes some difference

Is your great plains rifle a Great Plains Rifle or a Great Plains Hunter?
Great place to start and you have more shot-string options with a faster twist than the slower. Sure would like to see pictures of you finished kit. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

My gun is a Great Plains Rifle, not a great plains hunter. It's 54 cal. Sorry, I meant to post that in the original post. Sure, I'll definitely post some pictures when I finish! I've had a really great time working on it, but I am glad that I'm almost done, and almost ready to hunt!

It will take some experimenting but my .54 with a 1:66 twist likes a round ball patched with pillow ticking over 90 grains of powder.

It's the rifle.....
Roundball is inherently far more accurate that credited,
....and Lyman gives good barrel. :D;)

Back