Lyman Great Plains Rifle Kit Build

duelist1954

I recently completed building a Lyman Great Plains Rifle kit for an article in “American Frontiersman” magazine on guns used in mountain man movies. I thought it would be more fun to build the gun, rather than buying a completed model.

The difficulty level for putting this kit together is pretty low. Anyone, with enough patience, and a few tools, can do a good job on it. So it is a great first project build to use to learn the basics of wood and metal finishing.

But easy as it is, it still takes some knowledge to pull off a good job. Unfortunately Lyman provides absolutely no directions or educational material with the kit.

So, to help out first timers, I’ve put together a short video series that takes you completely through the build.

The videos on this YouTube Playlist will take a prospective builder from un-boxing, right through final assembly of the completed rifle.

I hope someone finds it helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHljRs6NHyZlfr-UMJ7xBABzYtC0Vtv5G

yEtlT8G.jpg

ODxJd3b.jpg

eTaRKSi.jpg

Last edited:
I've enjoyed your videos for years. I'll be watching these as well. Thanks for posting them. Builds are always fun to watch

Nice work!

I built one in .54 caliber years ago and it became my primary deer rifle. Reasonably powerful and very accurate.

Thanks for your videos and enjoy that rifle.

That is some very NICE wood for a kit, Mike: flat-sawed, not quarter-sawed.

Excellent looking rifle! I like that it is a .54 caliber, especially for hunting.

I watched all of your YouTube segments and enjoyed them immensely!

I had no idea that you were such a good woodworker. Congrats, Sir.

If it was my project, I think Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil would have sufficed with #0000 steel wool with lengthy drying periods between applications, but your application turned out very well, and I understand why you used those products.

Much better than a product turned out by any manufacturer.

I did a CVA Hawken .50 kit many years ago and it did not turn nearly as well as yours.

I hope your readers/viewers appreciate all you have done to turn out a very nice rifle and videos for the education for all of us.

As always, you do more than a yeoman's job.

Kudos!

Jim

Hi Duelist,

Thanks for posting the videos of making your rifle on Youtube!

I check your channel and a very few others daily for new videos

I am looking forward to seeing video of you shooting it

Keep up the good work.

Back