Lyman flint lock GPR vs GPR Hunter

Ultra12

About to get myself my first flintlock and I decided to go with GPR. Since I am new and know very little I would like to get everyone's opinion. GPR has 1 in 60" while hunter has 1 in 32" for conical and sabots. Price is the same and it looks like hunter just has modern upgrade to shoot new projectiles. I have to contradicting thoughts one says " you are getting a flintlock stick to the original and as close to authentic "On the other hand "got to keep up with the times" what do you guys think?

Why do you feel the need to keep up with the times?:confused: A flintlock cries for a round ball and cringes at the thought of a conical.:D

I'd rather go with a roundball flintlock for myself. If I wanted conical, I'd go with a repro Civil War minie gun. The latter will reach out to 500 yards.

Keep, "In the Spirit"

Why do you feel the need to keep up with the times? A flintlock cries for a round ball and cringes at the thought of a conical.
Pretty much covers it. Flintlocks and conicals with Sabots really don't go hand in hand. You have to define your expectations. You could shoot non-sabot conicals but PRB would be the way to go. In the end, it's entirely your call. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

I would definitely go with round balls for a flintlock. If I wanted something more advanced then I wouldn't be using a flinter in the first place.

Agreeing with all the folks who favor round balls, I will point out that you can get the GPR in .50 or .54 caliber. I have a .50 and it is just a hoot to shoot. The Lyman quality seems very good. I don't hunt but if I did I think I would get the .54 cal. I think the actual size used with a patch is about .535. This is a real punkin weighing over 200 grains and with that diameter and weight should put a deer down right well.

If you want to keep up with the times, buy a scoped bolt action centerfire. If you want the experience of hunting with a flintlock, buy a GPR and shoot patched round balls.

Here's a nickel's worth of free advice on the Lyman - get tapered wedges OR take a hammer & punch to the barrel underlug tennons and pinch 'em just enough to grip the stock wedges. Otherwise, you will never be able to get equal tension on both wedges and one will fall out. ;)

Back