Lyman 4500 top punch for Lee 459-500-3R

M88

Wanting to start casting for my 45-70 Sharps. I have a Lyman 4500 lube sizer and just bought a two cavity Lee 459-500-3R mold (500 grain .459 45-70 bullets). Dug around trying to find the top punch for my 4500 that would not damage that cast bullet. Can't find a table that gives me that info. Does anyone here have the website for that table handy or can tell me offhand what top punch I should use?

Dufus, the Lee 500 is a sharply spire-pointed bullet

Understood. I didn't look up the bullet mold.

I use the Accurate top punches for flat nose and round nose bullets.

I apologize if I misled anyone.

A belated thank you to everyone that took the time to help. I've been out of town away from the internet (was kinda nice actually :-). I now have the info I need thanks to this forum. GREAT resource. Now to fire up the melting pot and turn some of the one pound "bricks" of lead into something useful.

Don't forget ....you can custom fit a top punch , that almost fits your bullets profile , with epoxy putty . Clean the top punch so the putty will stick , grease the bullet nose so it wont stick, place a small ball of epoxy putty in the nose cavity and gently press the bullet nose into the punch...the putty will custom fit the cavity to the bullet. Let cure 24 hours , remove and trim off any excess putty ...you now have a perfectly fitted custom top punch.
JB Weld makes an epoxy putty and I've used some from the plumbing section ( leaky pipe fix)and the car section (auto gas tank hole/leak repair)
They all work just fine for making nose punches fit .

I make a lot of WC and SWC from round nose punches...I don't care for RN bullets but it seems every die set has them in there .
Gary

Back