Luger unit markings

Radicalcleric

I have a 1918 DWM P08 with SVI 1440 stamped on the front of the grip strap. Any idea on what this means? I assume it is a unit marking but I don't know which one.

It's probably an ordinance code. If the numbers don't match on both receiver and barrel then it was one of those PO-8's that was assembled after the 1st WW with parts that were on hand. PO-8's are so varied and knowledge of all the different one's is almost an art. You might want to ask an authority like Ralph Shattuck. He has a web page and e-mail address. Knows his stuff too. Try, http://www.worldoflugers.com/index.htm

You're welcome. I have a 1917 DWM artillery with all the rig. It's a shooter that I take to the range once in a while. Wonderful gun to shoot. Some knucklehead nickle-plated it for a trophy after the IIWW so it's not one of those immaculate types that collectors drool over but the #s match and with the 32 round snail drum and carbine stock holster it gets a few looks.

That snail drum is probably worth more than the gun! It would sure look nice with mine... :D:D

Artillery_Luger_1916_DWM.jpg

Back