Luger questions...Any anwers would be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob S

I have several questions about a German Luger made in 1940. Its in excellent condition, almost no wear at all, with the exception of a little holster wear on the tip of the barrel. It was taken off a german officer during WWII. The holster is also in excelent condition, and marked 1939. This is an original Nazi Luger with small nazi "eagle" insignias on the right side of the frame and on the right side of barrel. All the serial numbers match. Here are my questions:
1. How much might a gun like this be worth?
2. Where can I find out more about Lugers?
3. Will it decrease the value to shoot such a gun?
Any other info would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, Bob,

I need more info than that, especially the toggle marking, serial number, any other markings, etc. Are there two magazines, and do they have numbers matching the gun? The holsters alone in original and good condition go for over $100.

Jim

Ok, here is some more info about the gun, hope it helps: The gun only has one magazine, which has different numbers from the rest of the gun. No markings on the Toggle, except a large 42, and then a smaller 16 which is the last 2 digets of the serial number I think... the rest of the gun has several 16's on all the different parts. It has solid walnut grips, a thumb safety, no grip safety, On the right side of the reciever, there appear to be two very small nazi emblems, the little eagle wings... and just below them is the number 656. It should be noted that Im sure this is not a fake or reassembled gun because my grandfather took it off a german officer during WWII, and has had it ever since. He originally had 2 magazines, but while he was in germany, another GI needed a magazine for his luger, so my grandpa gave him one of his. It appears there is a slot in the holster for some sort of tool, but this is missing. There really arent any other markings on the gun. Does this help?

I almost forgot, the serial number is 4716. Also, ther is a small "i" in script writing on the front of the trigger guard. Also the numbers 883 appear under the barrel, just under the serial number 4716. The 883 is in much smaller numbers.

Jim: As long as you're looking up Luger info, I'm curious as to the approximate value of a DWM Luger 9mm, 1911 date. All matching serial numbers, including both mags and the holster. No tool in the holster. I'd guess the condition is NRA 90% or maybe a little better. Oh, holster is in pretty clean condition. Been in family since WW II "trophy days".

Regards, Art

At the gun shows locally, the Mauser Luger from WW-II goes for between $700 and $1000. Only a firearms dealer who does not specialize in Lugers would go by the Blue Book prices. This is of interest to WW-II militaria collectors, not Luger collectors.
The early DWM Luger goes for about $800 to over $1000 currently.
The whole question of "how much" can be summed up as "What is somebody willing to pay for your gun?" Prices vary from different parts of the country and the prosperity of the used gun market.
If you want top price, sell it yourself. Dealers usually figure on a 100% markup.
Prices quoted are without holster or accessories and with one magazine.

[This message has been edited by John Lawson (edited October 31, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back