Lucky Wheelgun Purchase, Part 7: 2.5" 686

Marko Kloos

Inactive
My quest for fine pre-agreement *&* wheelguns has netted me yet another orphan: a Model 686 with a 2 1/2" barrel. A Hogue Coco Bolo monogrip is already on order, as the new 686 will share CCW duties with my 4" Model 19.

This is my second 686 after the 6" model I landed three months ago for $270. This shorty 686 was a little more pricy: $340.

I've had outstanding luck since I decided to hunt down fine pre-owned *&* models. Right now eight of my ten handguns are revolvers, six of them Smiths. In the last few months, I managed to procure a fairly eclectic lineup, such as a 4" Anaconda, a 640 "Lew Horton" Carry Comp, a Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" from 1972 in mint condition in the original box with manual, a Model 19 4" round butt, and a gorgeous Model 25 with a pinned 6.5" barrel.

(Having a roommate working in a gun store, helps, of course, but luck has definitely been kind to me since I focused on older Smiths.)

Here's a picture of the new addition:

sw686-3.jpg

That is gorgeous! I have a 586 in 2-1/2 inch. It is one of the most accurate guns I own. No, wait, all my Smiths are accurate.

justinr1

You know, sometimes I get jealous.

Really though, reading about the nice finds of other members 'should' be encourement to the rest of us. They ARE out there.:D Congrats!:)

lendringser,

I just bought the same gun three weeks ago (used) except it had wood grips which I switched for the same hogue grips which yours has. How is the DA trigger pull on yours? Mine is smooth but somewhat heavy, to the point where your finger feels a bit sore after 40-50 dry fires. I'm seriously considering having an action job done. Do you or anyone know what are some of the options and what I would expect to pay? How about sending it to S&W for their action job? Thanks for any comments.

I live in NJ so any thought of CCW is daydreaming.

I fell in love w/ your toy yesterday

I was at my favorite range/shop yesterday & made the mistake of looking into his used gun case - bad mistake!

Harry had a *&* 686, .357, 2-1/2", adj rear, hi-viz front site. I rented it & shot it LOVED it. I *REALLY* need one now. Tried to convince him that he really DID want to trade even for my Colt Cobra .38! hehe

At $395 it was a bit steep for my pocket, but it really does help me with recoil control when loaded with my standard .38 loads.

Oh well. Mayber next year.

Nice pic. Enjoy.

God bless all of ya'!..........

S&W 686 2.5"

Congrats on a great piece. I have one of the older ones with silver hammer and trigger and smooth factor finger groove combat grips.

The trigger is silky smooth and very reasonable for DA (do not know the weight, but it feels perfect) and SA is around 3-3.5 lbs from the factory. Its accuracy changed my opinions of snubbies.

BTW, you got a great price.:D

The 686

Yep, I got one just like it, with the Cocobolo finger groove grips, Beautiful handgun and a fantastic shooter, Good luck with it and I'm sure your gonna love it ;) I'll never sell mine and it fits right in with my 629 :)

Back