Lucked out by not getting my first choice elk draw

kraigwy

WY Elk Area 1 (Black Hills) is prime. Lots of elk but the weather is better then, lets say the Big Horns, during elk season. Normally.

I got a nice bull last year but didn't get drawn this year. Had to settle for a left over cow tag in the big horns.

Turns out we had a freak storm in Eastern Wyoming. Last Friday my wife was up near Area 1 and says there is still 4 foot of snow, no way I could get to where I hunted last year. I'm sure the elk left, heading for the low lands on private land in other areas.

Anyway I headed for the Big Horns. Not too bad weather wise, perfect elk hunting weather in my mind.

So at the start of elk hunting in Area 1, (Oct 15) I'll setting by the fire. Wouldn't be able to hunt there anyway.

But I did get my a nice young cow, gonna be good eating.

Cow%20Elk.JPG

Kraig,

I believe you just harvested the holly grail of eating! I my opinion, there is absolutely nothing with hooves that fares better on a table than a 2year old cow elk, just like the one in the picture! Perfect!

EDIT: P.S. Nice looking model 70! My rifle of choice! What caliber? What is that glass?

Last edited:
Nice :)

Bulls are good for looking at, but for filling the freezer, I like cows.

Dropped mine at 8 am opening morning in Utah's Uintah mountains. Was cold enough we let her hang for 6 days in camp while we tried to fill our other tags.

Cooked up some butt-meat steaks while butchering............talk about melt in your mouth tender :)

Last edited:
Very nice, sir!

I didn't get a shot at an elk while bowhunting, but I did kill a mule deer doe.

I will be going back over to Island Park, Idaho for the muzzleloader spike & antlerless elk hunt in November. I hope I do as well as you did.

My favorite place in the whole wide world to live,hunt,fish and backpack. The Big Horns have the most beautiful Cutthroat trout I have ever caught anywhere. I usually get a cow elk tag for Bud Love and wait for snow.Yup there's some of that this year.
Well done sir.

Under the circumstances you found yourself in. I think you did well. i.e. seen some pretty country and a tender bite to take home. What more could a hunter ask for.

002_zps0db6fedf.jpg

Only way to make it better....do it again. My buddy Brian and his. We left GR at 3am on Sat and were home at 3pm Sat.....Got two more. I had an additional tag.

elkman06

GR?:confused: The terrain looks like the area north, east and south of Buffalo, WY, especially the land next to the airport fence. I haven't hunted that area for nearly 30 years. The terrain also looks like the Powder River Basin (but without a view of any of the coal mines.)

Last edited:
The terrain looks like the area north, east and south of Buffalo, WY, especially the land next to the airport fence.

Sierra Madres, Wyos' a big state w/ a lot of diverse country..

I've hunted pretty much all of the state...currently hunting the highest producing area in the state. Nothing new though, been hunting there since 1980
elkman06

Back