Lubrication for the cylinder/yoke?

Jak Boiee

Inactive
Is there any special oil or grease I should use to lubricate the yoke?
Also I caught my "friend" spinning the cylinder on my revolver with the hammer down. How did he do this? It hasn't happened since, but what has develobed is a nasty noise if the cylinder is spun. Did he damage something?
Just in case you need to know it's a Taurus Model 608 in SS.

Thank you for your time I hope you can help.
jakboiee@aol.com

I use regular gun oil to lubricate my yokes. Use it sparingly though. Too much oil can find its way into a cartridge and renedr it inoperable. I am not 100% sure about the noise in your cylinder, but it doesn't sound good. How did he get it to spin with the hammer down?

Revolver yokes love Break Free CLP.
And I use it quite frequently; after each
cleaning session.

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Jak, I think what you are asking, how can you spin the cylinder with the hammer down and the cyliner up and locked locked in the the frame. If so, if you pull the hammer back just a bit , there is a spot that will be reached that causes the cylinder stop to drop just a bit, to allow rotation of the cylinder. When this happens the cylinder may be rotated in one direction. It doesn't hurt the revolver that I know of. However I suppose if you spun the cylinder very fast and releleased the cylinder lock it could possiably hurt something. Not likely though. I'm not sure about the noise you are hearing though. Can you be more detailed on that please?
As some of the guys have mention, any good light gun oil would be good to lubricate the yoke.:)

Last edited:
Spinning cylinder bad for revolver. You are causing metal to rub against metal which can cause wear. If lubricant is present and preventing actual contact between the metal pieces you can get away with it....usually. With a stainless gun the problem can be more severe as the stainless is softer and very prone to galling when rubbing against a piece of like metal.

The noise you hear may well be because what once were smooth surfaces are now rough from galling.

BreakFree is a very good lubricant for stainless to stainless applications. Many lubes aren't.

Your friend needs help.

Sam

I don't see how spinning the cylinder would do much harm in itself. The problem would be if the cylinder stop is released and chips or batters the stop notches in the cylinder, or mars the cylinder.

One or two drops of oil should be enough in the yoke arbor and one or two more on the cylinder arbor.

Noise could be due to a bent pawl (hand) if the cylinder was spun backward or closed with the hand in the upward position. It could also be due to damage to the cylinder stop or the ejector.

Jim

Some clarification.
It wasn't like he was lightly spinning the cylinder. It seemed he was attempting to make it spin as fast as he could. I have tried to duplicate the condition of having the hammer down the cylinder in the frame and it spinning feely but it to date hasn't done it again.
The noise I heard made me believe that either damage had been done to the bearing surfaces or the lubrication had been burned off from friction.

I am not personally familier with Taurus's customer service but have heard good things about them. You might give them a call or email em and see what they say. Hopefully they will want to see the gun, and do what is necessary to make it sweet again.

Sounds like you have pinned down the source of the sound and feel. Particulary with stainless, if lacking in lube stainless sliding on like metal will gall and the metal surfaces become rough.

Don't have a Taurus at hand but if you take a Smith (similar) and pull the hammer back a bit, the cylinder can be spun in one direction. Won't do it with the hammer all the way down. The faint clicking heard when it is rotating would be the hand ratcheting on the star....not good for either if carried to extreme.

Please keep us posted.

Sam

Back