lubricating a wheelgun?

Puddle Pirate

I just purchased a Ruger GP-100. This is my first revolver and I have no real idea what needs oiled what needs greased, and what needs to be left alone. Any help greatly appreciated. BTW do I need to disassemble the gun every time I clean it, or can I just clean the cylinder and barrel?

------------------
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

Most of my revolvers are range guns, so I go with the "more is better" idea of lubricating. I just lube everything and then wipe it down until there is a thin layer everywhere. I've never taken apart my revolvers. I've heard you won't be putting them back together if you do (without a great deal of trouble).

All of the above is JMHO, and I eagerly await more responses!

Whatever you do,make sure that there is no
crud AND no oil under the star.That can cause
failure to strike hard enough to ignite.
Otherwise,give it a good wipe over after
every use and look for built up debris--a
total strip is probably not necessary more
than two or three times a year in my opinion
but it does depend whether one is lazy or not (I am)and how much you shoot it.

FWIW, Here is what I do.

Clean barrel and chambers with regular bronze brush and patches. If I have shot a lot of lead, I use a Lewis lead remover.

Then I clean the crud off the front of the cylinder and out from around the back of the barrel. (I use a brass or steel brush.) I I push back the ejector rod and clean under the extractor. (Crud in there can prevent the extractor from seating.)

Then I put one (1) drop of oil on the ejector rod and two (2) drops on the ratchet. I cock the hammer and put two (2) drops in front of the trigger and three (3) drops in front of the hammer.

Those 8 drops are all that is needed.

If you want to rub down the outside with an oiled cloth, OK, but don't make the gun slippery, especially if it is to be a defense gun. The BG might not let you pick it up, even if you say "Excuse me" politely.

My favorite cleaner is G96 Gun Cleaner, which has some lubricating and protective properties.

Jim

I totally agree with JIM.. The Ruger is not a problem to put back together after a total strip. Just make sure you follow the instructions in the manual and DONT loose the little pin that is hidden inside the grips.. I use #9 Nitro Solvent, Browning Oil and Browning Gun Grease. I recently bought some Break Free CLP, I will see how good it is tomorrow at the Field.

Jim - In what direction do you clean the chambers? I always plunge the rod from the rear of the cylinder. My rationale is that it will push out the 'gunk' from the ridge near the front of each chamber.

Apologies if this is a totally stupid question.

Cliff

Back