Lubricate Firing Pin in Autoloaders?

williamcrane

Should I put a drop of CLP or gun oil in the firing pin hole (then wipe it down) on my auto pistols? Or will this simply attract dust, dirt and other foreign matter, causing the firing pin to break or not work?

In the case of Glocks,as per the factory, keep the firing pin and firing pin channel unlubed. The breech face should be cleaned but left dry. As for other brands, I would follow the same advise so as to eliminate the buildup of crud that might cause malfunctions.

FIRING PIN LUBE...

IN MY MOST HUMBLE OF OPINION, NEVER EVER NEVER!!!
The lube is what really collects the crud and gums up the works even faster than normally. Also that lube will migrate downwards and guess where it ends up...on the sparkplug, where it merrily seeks out any crevices and penetrates into the cartridge and raises merry ol' hell with reliability and absolutely no primer sealing will stop it, and may even help it penetrate faster by giving it a "road" to run upon. ALL modern lubes are penetrating agents. They will do what they were designed to do.
Firing pins do not need lube, nor does any "striker system" need a lube job. TM

Rust protection

IMHO, these parts should still be protected from rust. I wipe the firing pin with a dab of CLP on a rag and a dab of CLP on a Qtip in the firing pin channel. Make sure the parts are wiped dry before reassembly.

Regards

I use a little dri-slide (molydisulphide in an evaporating carrier) on the firing pin of my 1911, as well as my other semi-autos that have firing pin springs.

Back