Lubing A stainless steel auto

cobraman

Here's my question: Should you use different lub and oil on stainless steel pistol than you use on a blue or parkerized one? I am thinking the answer is NO but I am not sure so I am asking the experts.

As I have been told, the answer is yes. Stainless steels when moving against each other have a tendency to gall. To prevent this good lubrication ir required. I was told by a very good gunsmith to use dextron automatic transmision fluid as lubricant on my stainless pistols. It is red in color. It works very well and is cheap. I avoid lubricants that come out of a spray can, they are just too thin.

It works for me.

Johnboy

------------------

I have read that the galling problem often associated with stainless steel firearms has been resolved by most firearm manufacturers, though they continue to recommend a little more lubrication for stainless steel.

By the way, how does one tell if a stainless steel pistol, for example, is galling?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Rig products make special grease for Stainless. I'm a stainless freak and I've never been " galled " I also use Boeshield T-9 developed by Boeing co. Super product!!

------------------
From my cold dead hands.

The important thing - no matter which lube you like - is that the lube stays where it is needed and not "bleed out".
We all no some lubes can attract dust and grit. These should be avoided.
After these considerations - use what works for you. Like the myth of the magic bullet - there is no magic lube.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
We, the people, are tired of being taxed, penalized, supervised, harassed,
and subjugated by a federal government which exceeds the powers
enumerated in the U.S. Constitution.

Currently I use Miltec1. I recieved a couple of bottles at a trade show. It works pretty darn well. But I wanted to make sure I was'nt doing any damage by not lubing my gun with some super secert oil.

I have also used the Rig stainless lube.
It stays where you put it and I have no galling on any of my stainless handguns. I even put a small dab on the rails of my Glock
slides.

This may sound crazy but I was advised by the Range officer that "Gear Oil" for cars is good one because it has been proven for it's effectiveness as a lubricant. Usually I use imported one in small plastic bottle or can so with the spray. But as George said, "use what works for you" and I add the one that is available, is the best answer.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by stdalire (edited December 21, 1999).]

HIGHLY RECOMMEND TetraGrease for slide rails and sears; BreakFree for everything else.

All my wheels are stainless.....

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

What is galling? And how can I check my gun for it?

------------------
"...you're thinkin was that 5 shots or was it 6? Well, you've gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky??? ...Well, do ya PUNK!?!?

Back