LR build

taylorce1

I'm not done yet but I'm getting closer all the time.

Sorry for the bad cell phone pics!
20120614_175430.jpg

20120614175351.jpg

I started this build a while back and it has slowly been coming together here is what I have so far.

Stevens 200 CF action
.243 Win 26" Heavy Varmint McGowan 1:7 twist
Stockade tactical bolt handle, recoil lug, and lift kit
SSS Competition trigger
EGW 20 MOA base
Leupold QRW rings
Weaver 3-10X40 Tactical Grand Slam Mil-Dot scope
HS Precision stock and bottom metal with detachable mag

Here is how it was shooting in an un-bedded M12 synthetic stock with 107 Sierra MK's.
243WinXCEL03-17-12001.jpg

There was potential there but I knew I needed a stock upgrade. I was cosidering dropping the money on a McMillan A5 stock and CDI bottom metal but found this HS Precision that was lightly used for far less money. I think my groups will tighten up now, that my barreled action is bedded to this stock. I know that a lot of people don't bed the HS stock but I feel better with all my stocks bedded. I've got those heavy DTAC's and Berger's on order and thinking of trying some Matrix bullets as well. Hoping to start ringing some steel well beyond 600 yards soon as I can find some time off from my new job to spend time loading and shooting.

Last edited:
Had father's day off, spent it at the bench.

20120617202656.jpg

L-R Berger 105 loaded with I4831, A-Max 105 loaded with RL22, and Match King 107 loaded with H1000.

Can't wait to get to the range now!

taylorce1-
In my experience, IMR3031 is a good powder, but a bit fast for the heavy bullets. Have you considered RL-19 or IMR4350? I know you have several of the '06-based cartridges in your remuda, so I thought there might be a chance of you having one of those.

Scorch I forgot to correct my spreadsheet, I was using I4350 and not 3031. Sometimes I miss things on my sheet I don't catch until later. The only rifles I use 3031 in is my 6x47 and .30-30. Thanks for catching that for me.

I use a lot of both 4350 and 4831 powders as well as W760 and RL15. I don't have any RL19.

Well it was nice enough this morning to shoot a few groups out of the new rifle. Really wish I had a portable bench, shooting prone off of bipods isn't my favorite way to test for accuracy. However I did get to shoot a few rounds before it got too hot so it was a good day.

My main goal was to find a load that would shoot around 2900 fps in my rifle with the 105-107 grain bullets. RL 22 so far has exceeded that goal by a lot. All cases are Winchester, Primers are CCI 200, and all 2.710" COAL.

I shot two groups with the 105 A-Max one was pretty good the other not so much. The second group confirmed my fears that I would be showing pressure signs but it sure was fast! Primers were slightly cratered and the headstamps were getting a little shiny.

Group 1, RL 22 44.4 grains
HI 3177 fps
LO 3123 fps
AVG 3147 fps
ES 54.30
SD 21.26

Group 2, RL 22 44.7 grains
HI 3269 fps
LO 3211 fps
AVG 3235 fps
ES 58.12
SD 22.69

105A-MAX.jpg

Next I tried Sierra 107 grain Match Kings.

Group 1, H1000 45.4 grains
HI 2906 fps
LO 2870 fps
AVG 2888 fps
ES 35.84
SD 13.19

I think this one would have grouped really well but as you can see the nut behind the trigger didn't get the job done.

Group 2, H1000 45.7 grains
HI 2904 fps
LO 2864 fps
AVG 2880 fps
ES 40.56
SD 15.00

107SierraMK.jpg

Do you have a comparator and modified case to get the optimal loaded length to the ogive, and bullet jump?

IMO, this is every bit as important-if not more so- than the powder/load.

Simply loading to a fixed dimension from base of cartridge to bullet tip just doesn't cut it.

Do you have a comparator and modified case to get the optimal loaded length to the ogive, and bullet jump?

IMO, this is every bit as important-if not more so- than the powder/load.

Simply loading to a fixed dimension from base of cartridge to bullet tip just doesn't cut it.

I have a comparator, but no modified case but I'm not really worried about it right now. I'm trying to find a load using Dan Newberry's OCW formula. I'm not looking for benchrest accuracy I'm looking for consistent sub MOA accuracy. Plus the barrel is throated for 115 grain bullets so I'm going to have a little extra free bore using the 105-107 grain bullets.

I need it to feed from the magazine and 2.710" is the standard COAL for the .243 Win and that is why I started there. Plus my old magazine wouldn't feed a cartrige 100% of the time if it was longer than 2.810 COAL. I would feel a little bit different about it if I had built this as a single shot rifle, but I built it as a repeater so all cartridges need to be reliable feeding from the magazine.

Like I said my first goal really wasn't accuracy first and foremost. I was looking for at least 2900 fps. If I reached 2900 fps with decent accuracy then I'll tweak the load a little to see if I can get it dialed in better. Besides shooting prone off of bi-pods in 90 degree weather at 7:30 am really isn't the most comfortable thing to do. I feel that if I get to a good bench with sandbags I can really do a lot better on the groups.

Last edited:
Nice rifle!!
I was contemplating a LR 243 build on a Savage action myself.
I has going to go with a 1-7 or 1-8 twist for the heavier projectiles.
I ended picking up a Ruger Target 6.5CM.
It's nice , but I just can't get away from the Savage idea..

Have a question. If you build this rifle and it's throated for the 115gr VLD why not shoot those bullets are they not set up to work in your rifle magazine?

Have a question. If you build this rifle and it's throated for the 115gr VLD why not shoot those bullets are they not set up to work in your rifle magazine?

I ordered 500 DTAC 115's but they are on backorder at Midway. I could look else where but since I have my order in I'm playing with what I can buy locally. Besides both the 107 Sierra and the 105 VLD require a 1:8 or faster twist to shoot. The A-Max is a good bullet as well that is a little cheaper than the others. I just want to test everything I can to see what shoots well in my rifle.

Last edited:
I just got a PM asking me the total price of the build. I'm not anywhere near my records at the moment but here is a close approximation of what I spent.

$280 Action shipped & FFL transfer, from Northland Shooters Supply
$268 Barrel shipped, from Savage-Barrels.com, McGowan Heavy Varmint taper 11 degree crown
$40.00 Bolt Handle from Stockade Gunstocks
$32.50 SS Recoil Lug from Stockade Gunstocks
$7.50 Bolt Lift Kit from Stockade Gunstocks
$100 Competition Trigger from Sharp Shooter Supply
$380 HS Stock & bottom metal shipped found used on Savage Shooters Forum
$299 Scope found only @ Midway USA, Weaver GS Tactical GS 3-10X40
$50 Rings from Midway USA, Leupold QRW Med rings
$40 Base from Evolution Gun Works
$145 Gunsmithing

Total cost so far $1642

I spread the build out over a couple of years so it wasn't a huge expense all at once.

The gunsmithing was because of two issues. $100 was for the bedding job. I could have done this myself but dropped it off at the gunsmith because I was training for a new job. What little time off I had I spent it with my family instead of tinkering with my rifle. The other was because the barrel needed the threads re-cut deeper to thread into the action.

I could have mailed the barrel back for this but decided the $45 charged by my gunsmith while I waited was less of a hassle. Savage-Barrels was more than happy to send a call tag to pick up the barrel and fix the problem but when I told them a GS fixed it for me they offered to pay the bill. They just wanted a copy of the receipt, if there is a next time (I'm sure they have corrected the problem) I'll be sure to get one made up. I'm sure the GS just put the $45 in his pocket that is why he did it right then and there. I'd happily use them again for a barrel for a Savage build.

Went on a spending spree since I couldn't reload this month due to my Army commitment to the Reserves.

20120721_0547511.jpg

Can't wait to try the 115's in my rifle, and right now over at SPS they have the 107 Nosler CC bullets cheap so I picked up 500 of them. I doubt I try them if I can get the 115's to shoot.

Back