low zoom budget scope options.

tahunua001

hello all,
I am looking to put together a nice little brush gun and I am looking at relatively inexpensive(sub $200) scopes in the 1-4x range. I am looking at Primary arms and Athlon Talos as two possible options but I was wondering what people's opinions were on these or if there might be a better option in my price range. I am not a big fan of bushnell, leupold, or redfield optics, just as a forewarning.

here are two scopes I have been looking at in particular:
Primary Arms 1-4

Athlon Talos 1-4

Last edited:
I don't recommend that you buy an older scope online-sight-unseen. But go to some gun-shows and look at some older, all-steel, Weaver scopes like this one:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/707908647
There are a lot of them out there, and truly, some of them are really beat beyond consideration. But they made a lot of them and there are good ones out there,....for fifty bucks. I've bought one not long ago and I expect I will find another for a different rifle. Mind you, I like the Leupold 3-9x40 for my current 270; but the steel-tube Weavers made in El Paso have my high regards. Vintage scopes for vintage rifles.

fan or not

Whether your a fan or not, you'll be hard pressed to find a sub $200 scope with quality and warranty better than a Leupold Hog scope, or the Shotgun 1-4x. I have two Leupold shotgun 1-4x scopes running presently, earlier Var-X-II (a) versions (I think) . One on a Mini30 and the other on an early Ruger .44 carbine. Both of those rifles have the reputation of being hard on scopes due to their slam/bang action. I can attest to that as both rifles have trashed mulltiple Bushnell's and Tasco's within a season or two. The Leupold'a have held up fine now for many years. The fact that there parallex settings are sub 100 yds does not bother me a bit. One can have Leupold change that, as well as a variety of reticle options (provided the scope is not too old) for a reasonable fee and quick service.

You can get either of the suggested Leupold's used on Ebay for in the price range you mention. Hold out for a Vari-X-II (a) as I think that is last "Vari" model that Leupold will do reticle swaps on. The II (a) models also have passable glass. A call to Leupold could confirm what model they will swap, and what Vari has the best glass, rather than take my recollection as certain. Of course the lifetime repair warranty is good on any model.

The scope's I've seen on here I'd get the Leupold, no question! I had a 660 in 308 that I used a 2 3/4 Redfield on for many years. My son has the rifle now and I have the scope on my 30-06! Super combination!

not meaning to make inflamatory remarks but that Leupold that is being repeatedly recommended is the reason I don't buy leupold anymore. I'm not sure about the primary arms but the athlon has a no questions asked lifetime warranty. leupold charged me 200 to fix a 180 dollar redfield that was supposedly warranted for defects.

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for when buying optics. And buying an odd brand can lead to nightmarish issues if you ever need any warrantee work.
It's the wrong time of year for scope shopping too. Everybody is looking for 'em for deer season. However, Cabela's has variable Nikon Prostaff scopes on sale for as little as $149.99. No low magnification stuff.

Hi tahunua001,

My advice is to go with the best scope you can afford, especially for hunting. I've seen budget scopes budget hunts due to failure.

Were it me, I'd buy a good quality used scope before I bought a lesser quality new scope. Of course, I'd want to inspect a used scope before purchase.

I have an Athlon Helos BTR on a Rem 700. They’re pretty good. I think Vortex has a little better optics, but you get a little more scope with Athlon. I’ve heard they’re pretty consistent across their line with the exception of the Cronus which has high quality, Japanese glass.

Not familiar with Primary Arms.

Id maybe look at a Crossfire as well. In the same price range, probably a little higher clarity, and a known customer service (good).

Back