Low cost 20 gauge pump for total newbie!

Dangus

I need to know what the best 20 gauge pump for the money is for a newbie. I have a girl-friend who needs a self defense shotgun and I think 20 gauge would be a lot better for her than a 12 for this due to kick and penetration issues. I think maybe a .410 is too small, but if someone can recommend a really good option in that gauge I might consider it.

My basic requirements are:

1) As short as legally possible

2) A muzzlebreak/choke if you guys think that would help

3) As large of capacity in the tube as would be practical/reliable.

4) Under 500 dollars absolutely. Under 200 if possible.

5) Pump action is what I am aiming for, but if there is a decent semi-auto in this price range than that will be acceptable too. No single shot or double barrels please.

You should be able to find a Winchester 1300 "Defender" or Mossberg's equivalent (name?) for around $260-$320. Both are short-barrel (18") and have full-length magazines that hold about 6 shells.

If you want something more versatile (i.e. also usable for hunting) check for something with a 20" barrel. Its a decent compromise.

I don't think the 18" barrel versions have screw-in chokes (?) but the 20" barrels probably would. Screw-in chokes can be very helpful for hunting.

Personally, I think a 12ga with light loads ("target" loads) kicks about the same as a 20ga with standard loads, so I would consider a 12ga. In a defensive scenario, the person on the wrong end would not know the difference between a target load or a hunting load.

OTOH, a 20 ga will probably be a lighter shotgun, and with 3" shells is pretty close to a 12 ga, so either is pretty versatile.

OTOH, for either the Winchester or Mossberg, if you buy the gun with the 18" barrel you can buy a separate longer barrel for hunting. They drop in very easily.

So many options....that's what's fun about shotguns.

Oh, man...I didn't even consider whether there was a short barrel version of the Remington 870. Anyone know? If so, that's another one to consider. I like everything about the 870 except the position of the safety. I much prefer the Mossber safety, on top of the receiver where your thumb hits it naturally, than the Remington safety, which is in front of the trigger guard and harder to manipulate by feel. Can't remember whether Winchester's is on the receiver or the trigger guard.

I just picked up a used youth model rem 870 for 180. It has a 21" barrel with choke tubes, short stock. Chaote makes an 8 shot extension in 20 ga. over all length of the gun is the same as a full size 12 with a 20 inch barrel. weight is about a pound lighter.
Tac-star has a 20 ga. sidesaddle.

Another vote for the 20ga Remington Youth 870. It's got a 20" vent rib barrel, takes screw in chokes, and the stock is 1.5" shorter than the standard 870 (perfect for most women). It'll run you about $240 out the door at most stores, less you catch it on sale. Mossberg will usually run a few dollars less but IMO the all steel 870 is well worth the extra 20 bucks.

I've got one that I use for late season rabbit hunting over beagles. The shorter stock length is perfect when I'm all bundled up in my winter clothing (February in Iowa & Wisconsin). Completely stock except for Williams sling swivels. Short barrel makes it a viable home defense gun and the overall look is so PC is practically lawsuit proof. -- Kernel, NRA Life Member

4 votes for the 870 Express 20 ga. On another part of the situation....

Back when I was teaching a hundred rookies a month to shoot a shotgun, I noticed that few moved past very basic competency(Load,unload,make safe,take off safe,fire) unless they shot a shotgun recreationally. Then, a few hundred rounds(and plenty of sweat on my part) turned them into really effective shotgunners.

And Dangus, why your GF needs a shotgun so badly is beyond my ken, but...

As well as the hardware, she needs the software, training and practice. AND, THE LAST PERSON ON EARTH SHE SHOULD GET IT FROM IS THEE!! That is, unless you're an experienced and competent instructor and shooter,and your relationship is rock solid and the best since Tristan and Isolde, or at least Tracy and Hepburn. Otherwise, you're teaching her will be part of the problem, not part of the solution. Trust me on this.

Also, there's plenty of old threads about HD shotguns, a bit of research will give you lots of input.

Dave, I actually assist a few guys who train police officers and regular citizens in their spare time(I draw up scenarios and check weapons), so yeah, I do have a decent idea of what I doing, but unfortunately I'm fairly ignorant of make and model of shotguns. I know how to use them but I've honestly never bought one before. That said, I'm nowhere near her, she's in another state, but I'm tracking down some experienced help in her area. On top of that her boyfriend is a shooter and frequent's Glocktalk, but he's leaving the state for a couple years(maybe just a few months, I forget), so she'll be on her own to deal with her current problem. Her boy has some guns, though what he has I am not sure, though if he has a Makarov that would be a good one to leave with her. Who knows, he may even have an 870, I really need to ask at some point.

OK, Dangus, a couple things...

First, 20 gauges are lighter than 12s, take lighter ammo, but felt recoil is oft as heavy,especially to a rookie shooter. Lots of old threads here on reducing FELT recoil.

Second, whether or not she lives in a CCW friendly state, she also should have a decent handgun. My choice would be a 38 snub,lots of practice, and so on. The smaller autos are not reliable stoppers, oft not reliable,hard to shoot well,etc.

Third, a call to the NRA should reveal who conducts Women's self defense classes in her area and where/when. A really good idea.

Good luck and if I can help, holler....

Like as I may 20ga...

I'd recommend Franchi 612 Defense (which only comes in 12ga).

It is light, short, has mild recoil due to gas operation. It isn't muzzle-heavy like most shotguns. Five rounds and you can get a +2 extension. MUCH simpler manual of arms than a Benelli/Beretta 1201 and less kick.

I am using a Lady Defender 20ga (no chokes, 7-shot tube) but I am not happy about the follower design (short-stroked shell would be hard to clear).

Oleg,
I can see the lower recoil from the gas operated system, but how exactly is the manual of arms simpler than a Beretta/Benelli? According to Franchi's website, the controls look almost identical. Is there something not illustrated that makes the Franchi more operator friendly?

Does the company that makes that Franchi shotgun have a website Oleg?

Also, is there a common model of the 870 that has a 5-7 round tube? Can this tube be extended cheaply like with so many other shotguns?

Choate makes a mag extension for the 20 ga 870, Dangus, but it seems hard to find.I've handled/shot a YE with an extension, felt about like an M-1 carbine, recoil wasn't bad even with the #3 buck loads.

The Youth Express we have here has no "Dimples" to hinder installation, but newer ones do. A minor matter.

612 Defense goes for $490 locally :ouch:
It fits me very well.

Saw a new 1187 Police with front bead/rear peep sight. It was priced at $650. The forearm rattled and the overall build quility and finish were similar to a $40 Crossman air gun. Ack! Now I believe the rumors of poor QC at Remington. Older 1187 Police looked quite different to me. Franchi 612 is more robust inside, btw.

Back