Low and to the Right

No problems with a rifle (never!).

However, I've owned my Glock 17 for three months--been shooting fifty rounds a week on average for these three months. Both vertically and horizontally, I'm tightening my groups, but lately I'm getting clusters low and to the right.

Suggestions?

I don't know much about your Glock 17, but I still have a suggestion for you.

Re-post this question on the Handguns and Pistolcraft Forum. You will most assuredly receive more responses.

------------------
RKBA!

"The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security"
Ohio Constitution, Article I, Section 4
Concealed Carry is illegal in Ohio.
Ohioans for Concealed Carry Website

Sounds like you're either not resetting the trigger or your allowing the finger to come off the trigger. Either one will make you jerk a bit and will generally cause a right hander to shoot low right.

Sounds like you are jerking and pulling the trigger, it is a common problem until you get used to the Glocks trigger. Until you get accostumed to it, pull it straight back slowly. A common problem is jerking it which causes the low shot placement and pulling it to the side which gives you the right sided groupings.

Glocks aren't for everyone. For some no matter how hard they practice they simply cannot get used to the combination of grip angle and trigger feel. Trying stacking the trigger (pullig it back until you feel resistance and then firing). You might also went to invest in professional instruction. Do you shoot better with other pistols? If so, and I don't mean to be a wise guy, consider giving up the Glock for what you shoot better.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

The next time you are doing dry-fire practice, try this. Place a quarter on top of the slide. If the quarter falls off when you squeeze the trigger, you are jerking it. Do this drill until you can squeeze and not have the quarter fall off.

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

It depends. If you are a right-handed shooter, low right usually means you are tightening your grip while squeezing. Keep a firm grip with the same amount of continual grip force throughout the shot. If you are a left-handed shooter, it means you are jerking the trigger. You need to squeeeeeze the trigger so that when the gun fires, you are "surprised" that it has gone off. Good luck.

Frank

Thanks for the advice, guys!

After I got home and posted this topic, I reflected on what I might be doing to cause the low right clustering. Jerking the trigger is not the problem, but I have had my shooting buddy, a gunsmith of 20+ years inform me that I needed to tighten my grip. Perhaps I'm focusing too much on my grip now and throwing a lot of Zen out the window, so to speak. Usually I am surprised when I pull the trigger and the gun fires, so I guess that takes care of that tip.

To be honest, I love my Glock because it is such a challenge to shoot. I love a Tauras 9mm. Definitely, Ruger Blackhawk fan (hopefully my next gun). Changing/Getting rid of the Glock won't happen; perhaps I'll view training on the Glock as overtraining--if I can become more proficient with it, I can become facile with any handgun.

Back