Love the NRA, BUT.....

Logs

Received my second letter from my best buddy Wayne LaPierre today asking me to hurry up and renew my membership so that I can save the NRA postage.

Writing back a nice not today explaining that if they want to save postage maybe they should wait on sending me a renewal notices when I still have 9 months left on my current membership.

They seem to have no problem sending me invoices, but it took two months for me to get my Hat.:)

I would be very happy if they would save the surveys, letters, diplomas and even the magazine and just use my contribution for political purposes. I don't need more junk mail.

Post 2,000 on this subject...

Do not worry about the money "wasted" sending you requests for money. For each person complaining about this there are enough out there contributing to make the net expenditure of money on mailings worthwhile in light of the donations received. This is Sales & Marketing. Many customers complain about how much their supplier spends on sales people and marketing but fail to understand that without such activities revenue would eventually dry up. This is the same for the NRA. Rest assured they are tracking such expenditures. They cannot know with any certainty which member will not contribute unless mailed so they have carefully calculated how much they need to solicit to generate positive cash flow.

As far as contributing to them, do so when you can since your membership dollars do nothing for political action by law.

The magazine used to have some good articles but are now filled with political edetorials and ads for new products disguised as stories.

However it is the computer age

and it does not take a great program to provided the NRA with the ability to allow a member to opt out of all the junk mail. The excuse used by the NRA and dozens of other organizations all fall on the same reasons for this bulk mail BS. There seems to be time to always provide the excuse but never time to find a solution. Some of us just don't want this crap as it ends up in the land fill.

SIDE NOTE: A few years ago a friend and I saved our junk mail from a few organizations. Over a year different organizations sent between ten and thirty mailing. Combine all that crap with the 2,000 other homes in my community and you can easily see why ourland fill is overflowing.

It's right there on the NRA site in the FAQs.

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?

A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

I tried to join online using just an email address.... Nope that does not work, I get hundreds of things from them because a gunshop gave them my mailing address.

It is a waste, I don't read junk mail.

Just do what I do...

Along with all my other junk mail, I save all the coupons I get. Once I have a few I stick them in to the prepaid envelopes that the NRA and credit card companys send out with their applications and other assorted mailings. And send them back.

Its my way of saying thanks for all their hardwork in sending me life insurance offers and offers for high interest lines of credit. I figure the people at those companys deserve and would appreciate $5 off their next meat lovers pizza and saving 50 cents on Downey dryer sheets.

"And send them back."

You can't see a difference between the NRA and an insurance company? If you don't like the fundraising mailings, ask to be put on the "no mail" list or simply throw them away. When you actively *waste* the NRA's money, you are not only shooting yourself in the foot, you're shooting everyone else's feet, too.

Tim

You can't see a difference between the NRA and an insurance company? If you don't like the fundraising mailings, ask to be put on the "no mail" list or simply throw them away. When you actively *waste* the NRA's money, you are not only shooting yourself in the foot, you're shooting everyone else's feet, too.

Try reading comprehension...it'll help maintain your blood pressure.

I wasnt talking about mailings from the NRA-ILA. Im talking about the mailings for NRA life/firearm/RV insurance, offers for knives/caps and other assorted tchochkeys and useless junk that they slap the NRA name on that does NOT go towards helping fight for political causes.

Wasting their money??? Nahhh...my lifetime membership and the $100 to $200 i send them every year should more than cover their mailing expenses for myself.

Besides they're getting valuable money saving coupons in return...its a win win...

Last edited:
I support the NRA, just don't always support their practices. Their incessant, please renew now letters get old but, I'm guessing the Brady Campaign wouldn't cease looking for your hard earned cash either. For the money, I'll stick with the NRA.

Its my way of saying thanks for all their hardwork in sending me life insurance offers and offers for high interest lines of credit. I figure the people at those companys deserve and would appreciate $5 off their next meat lovers pizza and saving 50 cents on Downey dryer sheets.

You're costing the NRA actual cash money in postage fees each time you do that, life membership and annual contribution or no.

Why not try to contact the NRA, as per the website's directions, and ask them to stop sending you junk mail?

It takes a month or so to kick in, but it does work. I say this from personal experience. I used to be plagued with junk mail from the NRA, after using their email request proceedure, my only mail is now just an occasional one from the NRA-ILA.

"Wasting their money??? Nahhh...my lifetime membership and the $100 to $200 i send them every year should more than cover their mailing expenses for myself."

So because you're a life member and contribute (thanks, BTW) you feel justified in playing your little postage game? Whatever.

Tim

So because you're a life member and contribute (thanks, BTW) you feel justified in playing your little postage game? Whatever.
Agreed. Why not just follow JohnBT's link, that he has posted many times, as have I, and as have many others, to get on their "do not solicit list"? Why waste the NRA's money like that, when you can spen 30 seconds online to eliminate the mail, or just throw it away? Is it really too heavy to carry to the trash, or is it a really long walk to the garbage? If the mail bugs you, ask to not get the mail, and they wont send it. Wasting thier money, when they give you a simple solution that works for you and them, is just dumb.

I dont know about you guys, but I ignored all their junk mail, and after a year, they just quit sending it. I get my magazines, renewal notices, and so far, one survey this year. No junk asking me to buy NRA wine, hats, belt buckles, or RV insurance.

Back