Love my model 10. Also Question

GaryED50

IMG-0982.jpg

j7514x.jpg

IMG-0966.png

Should I have it reblued or parkerized.

Gary

If your going to carry it a lot, I'd lean towards parkerizeing. More resistant to humidity.
Either way you've got a really good gun.
Enjoy it.

Neither

There is no good reason to refinish a model 10 that is in as good shape as the one pictured.
A 4 inch heavy barrel is not a concealed carry gun, now bring the guys that disagree and carry 24/7/365 a larger revolver.
Home defense, target practice are the jobs your gun is best at.

If that 10 were mine, I would just cold blue the worn spots. I have an identical one I often carry concealed, IWB holster, but it sports a Tyler T grip adapter. It's a police trade in I have had for about 3 decades. I love those old 4" Police revolvers. Powerful, light, accurate and well balanced. I say carry what YOU are comfortable with... as it's your life.

If it were mine, I wouldn't do a thing to it but use it. A nice looking Smith with good honest holster wear - it adds to the "character" of it. All over my Smith revolvers have been "vintage" - my favorite is my M & P with a 5" barrel - if I could only have one revolver, it would be my 1st choice - great shooter. It shows some holster wear - as did my Combat Masterpiece and my 1910 Colt Army Special. You'll find that the more you shoot your 10, the more you like it. It's going to be used and get even more wear - you refinish it and then you're going to be fretting over the first spot of wear - they are "shooting tools" - shoot it and enjoy it.

If it was mine, I would rust blue it and order grip panels from Thailand. Model 10's have very little collector value. That doesn't make them bad guns it's just that they were produced in huge quantities. Now that there is BLACK Parkerizing that would be a great idea. I would rust blue because I know how to do it. If I was having it done, I would pick a better more durable finish.

It is your revolver , Do what makes you happy. Gun owners have a variety of feelings toward used guns . Some feel they must remain bone stock and completely original. Others like to customize and and refinish. Most are somewhere in between .

If you bought it to hold value or resell leave as is. But in this condition and the amount of used Model 10's out there . It probably won't appreciate much. If it is going to be holster carried bluing will wear. Personally I would just shoot and enjoy the way it is.

To you original question , between the two I would re blue. Look to someone who does quality work. Getting harder to find these days. Be prepared to pay. Probably close to what you paid for the revolver

Neither
There is no good reason to refinish a model 10 that is in as good shape as the one pictured.
A 4 inch heavy barrel is not a concealed carry gun, now bring the guys that disagree and carry 24/7/365 a larger revolver.
Home defense, target practice are the jobs your gun is best at.

Agreed - unless it is really pitted or rusted, leave it alone and go shoot it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't spend the money on it, but it's your gun. If you want to refinish it, pick whatever finish you want and have at it.

I actually think wear adds "character," whatever that is. :)

Why does everyone feel the need to reblue guns? It generally destroys the value, and does almost nothing to protect the gun.
Your gun does not need refinishing, but if you must-first, look at the bluing. It will look the same again after a few months of carry if you reblue it.
At least refinish with an upgraded finish like hard chrome or nitriding. Even nickel holds up much better than bluing.

Why does everyone feel the need to reblue guns? It generally destroys the value, and does almost nothing to protect the gun.
Your gun does not need refinishing, but if you must-first, look at the bluing. It will look the same again after a few months of carry if you reblue it.
At least refinish with an upgraded finish like hard chrome or nitriding. Even nickel holds up much better than bluing.

I love reblued guns. I have gotten some good deals because the gun was refinished to look pretty again. Reblued guns almost never cost as much as those which have some moderate wear on them.

If the gun is a basket case on the outside, with rust and pitting, that's one thing. I have never had a gun reblued, I allow other guys to do it so I can buy them cheap.

Kind of an extreme example, but I bought this vintage K-22 a bunch of years ago for $500. It went so cheap because the finish was badly worn. None of the 'collectors' were interested in it because of the worn finish. This is actually the bad side, the other side looks much better. This pistol was shipped to the Providence RI police pistol team in 1932. It looks to me that somebody was resting his trigger finger on the frame for a long time during matches. Interestingly enough, I have four K-22s, and this one is the most accurate of the bunch. Wouldn't dream of having it refinished.

K%2022%201932%2001_zpsvyvgivt0.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys

You've convinced me its best to leave as is. Like somebody posted Its mild holster wear, lends character

Gary

Back