Lousy SP101 Front Sights

CWL

Y'all,

Just looked at a pair of Ruger SP101s available at my dealer. Was thinking about adding a new 'wheelie' to the collection.

Got pretty disgusted when the front sights on both pistols turned out to be slanted towards the left. It appears that the tops of both sights were not machined level but were ground at non 90 degree angles. You could not get the front & rear sights ligned up to be level. Real sloppy workmanship.

Has anybody else noticed this before? This is the first time I've ever seen this on any pistol.

The three I handled(one of which I bought) were fine. Yours must have been "Monday" guns. 3/4's of my pistols are rugers, all were o.k. out of the box.

A lot of things are slanted toward the left in the Bay Area! But seriously, I have an SP101 and the sights are fine.

Lot of fixed rear sight guns have a tad of lean to the front sight. Bending the sight is an accepted and proper means of sighting in the gun.

alternate being remove barrel, turn calculated amount off of barrel to frame shoulder, trimming and recutting forcing cone to maintain proper barrel to cylinder gap, screwin it together again and hoping that when properly tight....the sight is right and the gap is right.

Simply torquin the barrel harder to move the sight will cause a ring in the bore where the barrel was stretched at a point even with the end of the frame. if you turn it the other way....then it is loose and will likely unscrew while firing.

Soooo......very practical to give it a nudge with a hammer to correct sight error. Best done by the factory or somebody else who is willin to eat a broken sight. But often done at the consumer level with relatively thin blade sights.

Sam

Back