Louisiana quadrupeds "without a rest"

jephthai

OK, so I have a question that I know I should direct to wildlife & fisheries dept, but every time I send them an email I never get a response. I thought I might get more input from TFL.

While refreshing myself on all the small game rules, I found this:

Use of a longbow (including compound bow and crossbow) and arrow or a shotgun not larger than a 10 gauge fired from the shoulder without a rest shall be legal for taking all resident game birds and quadrupeds. Also, the use of a handgun, rifle and falconry (special permit required) shall be legal for taking all game species EXCEPT turkey.

Why would using a rest be prohibited? Would it be unsporting?

Just a guess

Seems to me that "not larger than a 10 gauge fired from the shoulder without a rest" is an attempt to prohibit the use of "punt gun" type firearms that were common in commercial waterfowling in years gone by.

I can't imagine lining up the ole' 10ga on some shooting sticks anyway, but it seemed like an oddity. I didn't think about punt guns at all!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

From my long experience with that little bit of weird law, it was intended that the gun is generally capable of being fired without a rest. If a common person can hold it to his shoulder without needing a rest, it's considered legal.

Using a rest is not prohibited, the gun must be capable of being fired from the shoulder without a rest. Generally it prohibits punt guns.

Granted, the wording is archaic.

Back