Lots of Turkeys

Picher

I just got back from a "walkabout" down back. There are 40 acres of blueberry fields there and. I encountered ten turkeys, this first day of the season...three Toms and 7 Jakes, any of which would have been easy to bag with a shotgun, about 20 yards away...in the open. I was just inside the woods line and they had no idea there was a dangerous killer standing there. I don't want to shoot a turkey, so brought my new light varmint rifle instead of my 12 gauge.

The rifle is a slightly-used .223, Rem 700 Light Varmint, Stainless Fluted that I bought a week ago at LL Bean for just such walkabouts. It weighs 6 3/4 lbs without scope and about 7 3/4 lbs. with a temporary 3-9X Bushnell 3200. (A Leupold VX2 3-9 is on order and was shipped today.)

My trail camera was less than 5 yards from me and the turkeys were on it, but exposure and focus were very poor. (It missed the best pictures at about 10 yards.) I knew where they were in the scene, yet still had a difficult time seeing them. Fun in rural Maine!!!!

(Rifle is shown in this thread "Older Rem 700 SFLV" on another page, so I couldn't post it here.)

Ok so if you don't want to shoot a turkey then why did you bring the rifle? I can't think of another season open here at the moment.

Coyotes are open, but I wasn't really hunting-hunting, just walking about the property and to pick up my game camera card.

I also have a couple of metallic silhouettes in the field and pot them, unless there are critters around.

Ok so if you don't want to shoot a turkey then why did you bring the rifle? I can't think of another season open here at the moment.

I often bring a gun with me for personal protection when out in the woods.

Glad you're seeing birds in your area.

Things have noticeably slowed here the last 2-3yrs. My guess is the increase in the yote population. I'm sure this past winter didn't do the turkey any good either but noticed the lack of birds prior to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picher,ayuh! Turkeys are plentiful in Maine. My favorite deer hunting area is loaded. Lot's of hens and jakes.Took a nice Tom there last year.My favorite walkabout gun is an AR15,Bushy carbine,adj stock,Timney trigger,and 3-9x scope.Nice on 'yoyes.

my son had the right gun at the right time...

It is with great regret I announce the death of "big bird".

Attachments

• TURK R.jpg
    TURK R.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 26
Back