Lots of S&W threads.

Brian Williams

I have in mind three questions.

1. Price check on S&W 629 Mountain gun I have my eye on 2 a NIB 44mag, which is $583 and a used 45 LC , which is $539

2. Which has better reloading potential. yes I know the 44 is hotter in factory loads, but can the 45 lc beat it with handloading ( I don't want load but just can it be done easily)

3. there is also a straight barrel 629 there also, same barrel length. which would be better.

To those of you who have one does it kick or is the weight enough to keep the recoil sensible. Does anybody carry one either CCw or backpacking/hunting.

Finally, I know, most of you will say get both, but is the mountain gun a collector or should I get the other gun I have my eye on a verry nice Springfield Armory 1911a1 mil spec its cheaper at $375

Both Mountain Guns would fetch around $500 in this neck of the woods (East TN), maybe a little more for pre-agreement guns with hammer-mounted firing pins and non-MIM parts.

The .45LC has the potential to equal the .44 Magnum in handloads, with higher bullet weights.

The "regular" 629 will be a bit heavier, and also lack the tapered barrel styling that makes the Mountain Gun so popular. Even with the slightly reduced weight, the recoil out of the Mountain Gun is very manageable...it's still a big, heavy gun with a lot to grip.

I have a Mountain Gun in .45LC as one of my carry revolvers. It's a pretty substantial carry gun, but it's not as difficult to hide as some may think. I carry mine in a Strong three-slot pancake high ride holster, and it works out pretty well under a loose overgarment like a sweatshirt.

I'd get the .45LC Mountain Gun, as those are not as common as the .44 Magnum variant. I know some folks who have been looking for a .45LC Mountain Gun for a while now without much success, but the .44 variants are a lot easier to find.

As I understand it, loading .45lc to beat .44 mag ballisics is ill-advised in a Smith "n" frame, but this does not reflect modern steels, nor the durability package built into modern .44 mags. Does Sellout & Worthless put the durability package in other calibers? Wouldn't run warm loads if they don't.

Durability Package?

I have a S&W model 629-5 Classic with a 5" barrel
which is fully lugged. Its a sweet shooter; but it still
maintains heavy recoil with full throttle load's.:eek:
It also has the durability package installed.:cool: :D

Best Wishes Of the Season,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

I paid $529.00 for my .44 mag Mtn Gun. I had the 45LC in my hands, but decided I liked the idea of .44 Mag and .44 Special over the limited offerings in 45LC (I don't handload).

Another dealer has the Mountain gun for 579.00 in my area. I think this may be on the steep side. I'd say if you found a new one for around $500-$550 you'd be in good shape.

I shot mine today with standard 240 grain mags and the recoil wasn't bad at all. I like mine a lot.

Back