Lot number changes bullet size

cdoc42

The last 3 Hornady 150gr BTSP .270 cartridges I had loaded emptied the current box of bullets, and I discarded the box so I can’t list the lot number.

My RCBS die was set to seat the bullets 0.02” from the leade and they measured 2.821” from case base to ogive.

I opened a new box and seated 3 rounds, then measured them, as usual. I was surprised they measured 2.855.” These were 0.034” longer and would have jammed into the leade, which was even more important because I was experimenting with magnum primers using H4831 56.0gr (max 58.0gr).

I reset the die to seat the new loads to the desired 2.821” keeping in mind that they now were 0.034” deeper in the case, which might also increase pressure but I thought it should not be as high as having them jammed.

I went to the range and fired the last 3 from the previous box of bullets at 100 yards and they landed 2-1/4 to 2/12 inches high about ¾ of an inch on either side of the center, giving a group size of 1.598”.

The newer lot number produced 3 shots that were 2.0 -2/34” high, all within 0 to ¼” of center, in a group that measured 0.973”. I then fired 2 shots at 200 yards and both landed 2 inches on either side of the bull , neither high nor low. I’m not unhappy about that because I used a green circle 6-1/2” wide and my vision isn’t what it used to be. I used a 12-power scope and the green dot edges were blurred anyway.

Now, of course, I’ll confirm the validity of the load with more shots but it seems as though I have enough of a winner to hunt deer this year.

I guess the lesson learned is don’t consider a new lot number of the same bullets from the same manufacturer to be exactly like the last lot number. I purposely measured these rounds because in the past I had a box of Hornady 150gr BTSP that I purchased in 1979, and when I bought a new box (date unknown) it was instantly obvious that the cannelure location had been changed on the new lot number. The base-to-cannelure on the “old” bullet was 0.470” with a base-to-ogive of 0.716”.
The new bullet had a base-to-cannelure of 0.520” and a base-to-ogive of 0.705”. I was disappointed that there was no mention on the new box about the change, which may have been overlooked by neophyte reloaders who used the cannelure as their seating depth indicator.

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that they updated their bullet profile.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Maybe so, but good sense says they should so advise. A good load that all of a sudden is not good anymore because they changed the bullet profile without telling us means a customer will switch to another bullet rather than thinking that they need to re-experiment.

tips

Overall length is an important measurement, but my observations is that using it as the only criteria in determining the leade/distance from the lands is not always reliable. I can set my seating die up, load a box of cartridges from the same box of projectiles, and the C.O.A.L. can vary from that 100 count box in just those 20 rds. My observation is that the profile of the tip can vary from bullet to bullet. This is especially true at the meplat, the very tip. It is not an uncommon practice those seeking extreme accuracy to prep the bullet itself at the tip. What is desired is tip uniformity not for COAL but ballistic coefficient. Commonly done with OTM bullets and a special tool. .......I dunno if it can be done with soft points.

The best tool for off the lands would be a bullet comparator, that measures off the ogive.

bamaranger, you may have missed my statement at the beginning of the discussion:

"My RCBS die was set to seat the bullets 0.02” from the leade and they measured 2.821” from case base to ogive."

You are correct that measuring the COAL from the bullet tip to the case base can lead to differences in the measurement. I should have added that I use a comparator.

I have plenty of those, different lot number and factory second bullet that I have loaded for different cartridges to find a super duper consistent load, only to find that next box of bullets has to be retweaked.. so.. my routine is taken the rifle I'm gonna hunt with, and 3 different loads, the one that is most consistent gets the nod.. and I do go through new bags, and boxes of bullets and measure them, usually finding bto is similar, but never the same..

Back