Lost the small (behind the roller) sticker RCBS 5-10

driz

Ive got a beautiful old 5-10 that sat unused in the basement for decades. The thing is like new except they used that sticker to mark the tenths of grains. Any idea where I can get my hands on a replacement? Yea I know the pigs are taking wing........ Soooooo doing the other option does anyone out there have one on there that you can shoot me a pic of along with the spacing on the increments so I can make my own up.
I know I can grab an electronic for a song but I love this old beast and we have a long history together. Any other brilliant ideas most welcome, thanks

Lost the small (behind the roller) sticker RCBS 5-10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ive got a beautiful old 5-10 that sat unused in the basement for decades. The thing is like new except they used that sticker to mark the tenths of grains. Any idea where I can get my hands on a replacement?

Yes I do; the sticker is available from RCBS. If they no longer have the sticker I will give you one, BUT! that will require digging. I was building one when the wife wanted to get involved; she took the beam to the kitchen sink and cleaned the beam. When she returned the markings on both stickers were gone. I called RCBS to report my wife; they sent me the small sticker. Repairs beyond the small sticker required sending the scale back to RCBS. There is a problem with returning the scale; they have the option of repair and or replace. I would not trade the old scale for a new scale if the new scale was not OHAUS.

F. Guffey

I went to the next guns show and found a beam for $5.00.

Thanks sir the info. Busy all day today so I’ll give them a ring tomorrow and see if they tell me I’m 25:( years too late.....I wouldn’t blame them a bit. Heck id settle for a picture of a ruler held behind one and I would just make my own.. I will be sure to report back tomorrow.

NoDice with RCBS. BOO HOO I really expected that with it being out of production so long. If any of you guys have one could you just snap a picture , closeup preferred of your small scale roller and scale with a ruler held behind it, Just make sure it’s lined up with one of the inch hash marks where yours zeros and and I’ll make my own. I can cross check it against my buddies 5-5 and it will be good to go. I’ll figure it out, I’m like MacGuyver when it comes to building my own stuff.

poise weights are linear here is how to make your own with some adhesive paper, a fine pen and your reloading calipers

1. place a small piece of paper or tape behind the small .1 poise on the right side of the beam where the label used to be.

2. set the .1 gn poise as far to the far right as possible.

3. Make a mark on the tape where the .1gn poise pointer is. That is your zero mark.

4. move the .1 gn poise all the way to the left and make a second mark. That is your 10 mark

5. Measure the distance between your two marks with your calipers, make a note of it and divide it by ten. Now you know the distance between each mark. Set the calipers set to that number and use them to help you mark the lines

If you own or you could borrow a lab grade electronic that is accurate down to a milligram you could weigh out charges in tenths and check it but unless there is a lot of slop at the ends of the poises travel that should put you dead on.

Last edited:
Rcbs 5-10 scale

Was there any resolution to this? I have the same problem ( lost the sticker for 10ths). Is there any aftermarket supplier? RCBS was no help

RCBD didn't make the 505 - Ohaus did. Contact them for what you are looking for. My 505 is even marked Ohaus - but it is from the 1970s.

That label isn't too complicated. If Ohaus doesn't have it any longer, you can make your own in a pinch and probably get a vendor with a laser engraver to make you a permanent one. The main thing is to get a good measurement of the thread that the roller is turning on accurately. If you don't have a thread gauge, use a caliper to measure the position of the roller at one end, turn it ten full revolutions, and measure the position again. Divide the difference in the position measurements by 10. Divide that result into one, and the nearest whole number will be the thread pitch if it is a US thread. Take that whole number and divide it into one again to get the spacing of the scale marks on the label.

If that looks off, try multiplying the number you got when you divided by 10 by 25.4 to get the number of millimeters per turn and see if that isn't some even number with tenths to have as your space between the scale marks.

That label isn't too complicated. If Ohaus doesn't have it any longer, you can make your own in a pinch and probably get a vendor with a laser engraver to make you a permanent one. The main thing is to get a good measurement of the thread that the roller is turning on accurately. If you don't have a thread gauge, use a caliper to measure the position of the roller at one end, turn it ten full revolutions, and measure the position again. Divide the difference in the position measurements by 10. Divide that result into one, and the nearest whole number will be the thread pitch if it is a US thread. Take that whole number and divide it into one again to get the spacing of the scale marks on the label.

If that looks off, try multiplying the number you got when you divided by 10 by 25.4 to get the number of millimeters per turn and see if that isn't some even number with tenths to have as your space between the scale marks.
That's exactly how I made mine. The scale was part of a batch deal. It works fine with the home made label. But I went back to my electronic scale afterwards. It is too slow and takes up too much room.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back